You may not like this... Kira grew a pair. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

You may not like this... Kira grew a pair.

Well, it happened. Kira grew a pair of B*lls, and set someone straight. It wasn't invited, but some people are pseudoswearing and ask for it.

Here's what happened...

I live near a local park. It's a waterfront park, with trails, benches, and lots of places to go for a bike ride or walk.
Within this park, are two designated areas for dog parks.

In this dog park, there's a GSD that's harassed Kira on a regular basis. Her owner would generally downplay it as "only dogs", and they'll work it out. She's taken a few snips at Kira for no reason.

A few days ago, I made a firm decision not to put Kira in that dog park anymore.

SOOOO, here I am walking with Kira along a path, and here comes the "snippy GSD dog" with the owner. He walks towards me, and lets out his retractable lead. The guy knows that Kira is timid, and IMO, was asking for trouble.

Here comes this barking dog, with her owner leading his dog right into Kira's face.
Well.... My baby girl raised her hacks, charged the on coming dog, and set her straight. It happened so fast, I couldn't have prevented it.

Kira wasn't having nay part of that dog anymore, and as much as you may not like how I feel, I'm happy for her. She needed to get in touch with her canine side.
She may not have acted this way is she were loose in the dog park. I felt as if being restricted on the leash, forced her hand.

Last edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN; 01-08-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Knighted Member

Congratulations, you finally got the dog you have always wanted.

What are you going to do when she encounters a dog that is way more bad ass than her.

The way you go against advice it will happen.
post #3 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

Yep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Elite Member

Very much don't like. Scary.
post #5 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

So, the how to answer an ignoramus with a dog, is to better him at his own game?

If his dog needed veterinary care, you can be liable.

If the next dog your dog needs to attack needs veterinary care you will be liable.

I am sorry this happened. Your dog is now fear-aggressive. She did not grow a pair of testicles. Her hair/hackles were up, common fear response. She lunged and attacked because she knew she could not get away and she did not trust you to protect her.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack's Dad View Post
Congratulations, you finally got the dog you have always wanted.

What are you going to do when she encounters a dog that is way more bad ass than her.

The way you go against advice it will happen.
I don't appreciate your comments. It's not the dog I always wanted.

Go against advice? Please tell me HOW going for a WALK in a park is going against advice?????

I'd really like to hear what it is that I did so wrong.
post #7 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Knighted Member

Well, it is sad that she apparently was a friendly dog and that this other dog was permitted to harass her on so many occasions that she felt as if she had to defend herself. This is exactly how serious dog aggression issues start. One of my dogs (the one who is a rescue) came to me as an older puppy and already had this issue. No fun at all-when you can't even pass another dog on a walk without your dog acting like a complete psycho trying to attack another dog who is walking along on the sidewalk across the street from you-make sure you repost and let us know how much you enjoy it when it happens.

*US Army Mom*

Last edited by Germanshepherdlova; 01-08-2012 at 09:10 PM.
post #8 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Fear agression at its best. The most confident response would be to ignore the snippy dog if it was not a genuine threat (actually my male throws calming signals at them or turns away or even just blows them off completely) and, if she was a true threat, for you to protect her.

The best way to approach an iffy situation with a fearful dog is to have eyes in the back of your head and do something to occupy the dog until the situation passes - such as obedience and avoid the contact altogether. She needs to learn in a controlled setting with confident adult dogs how to be a confident dog..............

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 01-08-2012 at 09:10 PM.
post #9 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Crowned Member

What I see that is wrong is to be proud of letting your dog get into an altercation with another dog. You saw them approaching, you should have taken evasive action because your dog is intimidated by the other dog. If my dog got into it with another dog for any reason, I would be mortified, and apologetic, not proud. And when you have a dog that is softer or has weak nerves, timid, shy, you have to manage the environment so that she is safe and gains confidence, is not overwhelmed, so that a bad situation does not happen.

Every negative incident involving GSDs is bad for all of us.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 183 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Maybe you're not understanding the post. We were walking, and another dog charged HER!
There was NO place to go and hide. It's a 5 foot walkway at most, and people go for casual walks along these paths all day. The owner of the other dog let out his dog's lead. I just stood there, ready to pull his dog off Kira. I froze.
What do you think should have happened in that case?

She is NOT aggressive, and soon after, passed a half dozen more dogs on the paths, without incident.

Last edited by Anthony8858; 01-08-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page