Calling the experts on Kira's fear. (video) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Calling the experts on Kira's fear. (video)

Below are 3 videos.

The first video, is of Kira playing with her friend at her favorite dog park. It's a small park, designed for a few dogs. The dogs generally all get along well, and Kira plays with her select group of friends.

Here's the first video.... No problem at all.
Kira has a blast!

Here's what concerns me:

In this video, there's a GSD PUPPY. He's 8.5 months old, and licks everyone to death. He's a playful 65 pound mush, and wants to play with Kira in the worst way. His name is Bruno.

If Bruno is standing around, Kira will go over to him, and sniff. He'll lick her face, and visa-versa. He show's no aggression whatsoever. He's playful, and wants to run, run, run.

In THIS video, I was playing fetch with Kira. I had just thrown her ball. She picked it up, and saw that Bruno was waiting for her. Bruno wanted to chase her, as he had just finished doing with the other dogs (see third video below).
As soon as Bruno turned towards Kira, Kira ran and yelped for her life. Even though I laughed a bit, it was a nervous laugh for her. I knew that she was in no danger, and so did everyone else.

What do you think?

Here's Bruno playing as he normally does:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 PM

I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what I see in all videos..The first one, the dog Kira is playing with looks like a big doofy boy/girl,,to me he's showing just that.

the 2nd video, Bruno is down in his "stalk" position,,now he may just wanna play, but I would say, he looks intimidating to Kira..heck I'd run to, if I had Bruno in his 'stalk/stare' zero ing in on me..

Third,,while he's playing, Bruno that is, he looks like a 'rough' player,,tail up, just going at things full boar..

I'm thinking Kira may be a tad intimidated by his size, his stature, just the rough vibes he may be giving off..You notice in the 3rd vid, I see her just come into camera range with the smaller dogs, and Bruno comes charging thru, she gets out of his way.

The first dog she was racing around with, you could tell she was very comfortable with him, the next two, unsure/uncomfortable with bruno..Kinda can't say I blame her, not sure she 'knows' how to take him

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

Exactly what Diane said. Bruno seems OK, he's just too much for Kira at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what I see in all videos..The first one, the dog Kira is playing with looks like a big doofy boy/girl,,to me he's showing just that.

the 2nd video, Bruno is down in his "stalk" position,,now he may just wanna play, but I would say, he looks intimidating to Kira..heck I'd run to, if I had Bruno in his 'stalk/stare' zero ing in on me..

Third,,while he's playing, Bruno that is, he looks like a 'rough' player,,tail up, just going at things full boar..

I'm thinking Kira may be a tad intimidated by his size, his stature, just the rough vibes he may be giving off..You notice in the 3rd vid, I see her just come into camera range with the smaller dogs, and Bruno comes charging thru, she gets out of his way.

The first dog she was racing around with, you could tell she was very comfortable with him, the next two, unsure/uncomfortable with bruno..Kinda can't say I blame her, not sure she 'knows' how to take him
As far as the "stalk" position, granted, it just happen to work out that way. He normally just chases. He was waiting for her, and regardless of his stance, the result would have been the same.

Your assessment is accurate. She is intimidated by him, but will go over to him, and maybe slap him with a paw, or nibble at his ear. As soon as he engages, she runs and cries.

If you watch the second video carefully, you'll see that Bruno backed off immediately.

I've seen this behavior with smaller dogs too.
There was a small border collie there a few days ago. They were playing, Kira was fine. Then all of a sudden, the Border Collie wanted to chase her, and she screamed bloody murder.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankly I'm Frank View Post
Exactly what Diane said. Bruno seems OK, he's just too much for Kira at this point.
I can accept that.
Is this normal behavior for a 6 month old GS?

I see other puppies in there all the time.
Geez... there were miniature dogs racing with Bruno in each video.

I really thought she was OK around other dogs.... Kira is terrified. I have concerns about this.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Master Member

Bruno looks intimidating. Kira does not know what to do with that kind of energy and she does not want to challenge him in any way. I can't say I blame her. Imagine if you did not know the dog and he got into that position and zeroed in on you, I bet you would be nervous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony8858 View Post
As far as the "stalk" position, granted, it just happen to work out that way. He normally just chases. He was waiting for her, and regardless of his stance, the result would have been the same.

Your assessment is accurate. She is intimidated by him, but will go over to him, and maybe slap him with a paw, or nibble at his ear. As soon as he engages, she runs and cries.

If you watch the second video carefully, you'll see that Bruno backed off immediately.

I've seen this behavior with smaller dogs too.
There was a small border collie there a few days ago. They were playing, Kira was fine. Then all of a sudden, the Border Collie wanted to chase her, and she screamed bloody murder.
She is still a baby. She will probably quiet down with a little more maturity and confidence. She is still learning the rules of the game.
The stalking pose is a common part of play, at least it is in the group my dog plays with. They all do it to each other.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM

That GSD rushed at her- I'd be afraid too!

Fenrir 08/08/2011
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Elite Member

sorry no advice, but i enjoyed the videos. watching dogs play is entertaining!

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:55 PM

Wanted to add that Fenrir does the same thing (if rushed upon) she doesn't know that she's not going to be attacked. (She's been rushed upon twice while been on a leash, from two unrestrained dogs- both attacked -separate incidences)

We don't go to dog parks- but do go to puppy obedience training- pups are close in age.

Fenrir 08/08/2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page