Humping! & Potty Training! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Humping! & Potty Training!

Nour my three month old puppy loves to hump. Yeah, a bit weird, but he humps anything that is bunched up like a blanket that is folded. LOL xD Is that normal?

andddd....

He isn't potty trained yet. Actually he just peed about three minutes ago in the middle of the room. We let him out every hour PLUS whenever he sits by the back door. For some reason I feel like he should be potty trained by now :/ Any more tips for potty training?

Thanks!

Gladly Owned by:
Crystal - GSD x Sheltie - 2 yo - 08/01/09 - 37 pounds

Nour I miss you so much <3 GSD x Malamute: 9/19/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Master Member

Humping at this age is normal. Female pups even do it...

Just keep on working at it with the house breaking. If once an hour isn't working, go to once every 45 minutes. Also, are you crate training?

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Princess Abigail "Abbie"
Kai (RIP)
Loki (RIP)

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 08:03 PM

Humping is not abnormal, but I prefer to discourage it. Its just not a behavior I like. Often with pups its not an expression of dominance, but rather just excitement. I just pull them off what they're are humping and redirect them to playing with a toy. And it goes away.

As for potty training, when you take him out is he going and emptying his bladder. What does his access to water look like. More in, more out. And while I dont necessarily believe in restricting water I have had puppies that were just water dogs. They would drink themselves full and then consequently have to pee. Normally with my pups, it was straight out from the crate to the yard for a potty and play session for 20-30 minutes. Usually puppy would poop and pee several times in this time and then puppy could have house time, when puppy got tired, puppy went back in crate and the routine would start again. Keep at it. He'll get it.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

I redirect him to a toy whenever he humps. My female dog did this as well but stopped by herself

Yes, I am crate training him. He is in his crate at night and whenever he is gated. And he only has limited access in the house -- only the living room and kitchen. So about half of the downstairs And yes, actually he lays down by the water bowl. And whenever he starts drinking, he takes a while to stop, lol. I don't think restricting water is an option though, due to the fact I have another dog that would probably want a drink of water as well x) Thanks for the suggestion.

Gladly Owned by:

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

How often does he go pee/poop in the house and "get away" with it? Every time he isn't caught "in the act" will set you back farther.!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle View Post
How often does he go pee/poop in the house and "get away" with it? Every time he isn't caught "in the act" will set you back farther.!
Actually, the last time he has gotten away with it was about last month. We usually pick him up mid-pee (which sometimes results with some pee down our shirts) and put him outside.

Gladly Owned by:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Rua
Master Member

Keeping a consistent routine has really helped us with our current potty training process with Juno (who is 11 weeks). She has quite a small bladder and sometimes I have take her out to pee 3 times in an hour if she's just drank, played, and is overly excited.

Also, she doesn't always empty her bladder fully (if she gets distracted by the cats outside during her wee) and has sometimes had the odd accident in the house afterwards due to this. I always say "Go Pee" as a command the minute she is outside. She's getting to the stage she nearly does go on command - but you do have to be super consistent.

I feel I'm pretty in tune with her and when she needs to go. But aside from giving a "look", she doesn't really let me know when she does need to go which can be a bit frustrating. I've heard of people training their pup to use a bell attached to the door, but I haven't tried it. Anyone had any luck with that?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Rua
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR870 View Post
Humping at this age is normal. Female pups even do it...
....Oh, and I'm really relieved to read it's normal for females to do humping as well. I was a bit freaked out the first time I saw Juno do this just the other day. I always thought that was just a boy dog thing. The first time I saw her do it, I thought I was imagining things. Then she did it again. Next thing, I was turning her over to check if we'd made a mistake with her sex.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rua View Post
Keeping a consistent routine has really helped us with our current potty training process with Juno (who is 11 weeks). She has quite a small bladder and sometimes I have take her out to pee 3 times in an hour if she's just drank, played, and is overly excited.

Also, she doesn't always empty her bladder fully (if she gets distracted by the cats outside during her wee) and has sometimes had the odd accident in the house afterwards due to this. I always say "Go Pee" as a command the minute she is outside. She's getting to the stage she nearly does go on command - but you do have to be super consistent.

I feel I'm pretty in tune with her and when she needs to go. But aside from giving a "look", she doesn't really let me know when she does need to go which can be a bit frustrating. I've heard of people training their pup to use a bell attached to the door, but I haven't tried it. Anyone had any luck with that?
Thanks for the tips.

Nour is the exact same. He just sits by the door and looks at you, and sometimes you don't see him, then... well he releases his bladder all over the floor.

Gladly Owned by:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page