socializing 11 week old puppy- only had first shots? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

socializing 11 week old puppy- only had first shots?

I adopted an 11 week old puppy a week ago and want to work on socializing him. The problem is that he has only had his first shots. He gets his second shots next week. Is it safe to take him anywhere? He is a little bit on the shy side so I feel it is very important to get him out and around people and children at a young age. Is it safe to bring him to, say, petco, if we never put him on the gound; if we keep him inside the cart the whole time? Opinions please! If you would wait-- would you wait until his final third shots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:42 PM
Elite Member

I would not wait. I got my pup at 8 weeks and we were always out and about. Just do not go to pet stores, dog parks, or other places with high dog traffic. Socializing is about more then just being good with other dogs & people; it's about being calm in all different types of environments with different types of people, surfaces, events, animals, noise, etc.

Chrissy

Pookie, Papillon 4/17/09
Kaiser, GSD 4/14/11

Last edited by Verivus; 12-26-2011 at 09:45 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:51 AM
Knighted Member

My pup is 10 weeks tomorrow and has only had 1 vac so far.

In the nearly 2 weeks I have had him he has been to the vets twice (sits on a towel), we have sat outside shopping centers, I even took him to a skatepark and boy did I feel like the odd one out there He has been to my parents a couple of times, to my friends house who has a GSD whom I know is great with puppies.

We have roadworks down our street so when they are back after Xmas break I will take him there for a look. Also tomorrow I will take him to the esplanade at the beach to watch. I have been either holding him or he sits on my lap. I have a list of places/sounds to show him (busy playgrounds, schools etc).

So my advice for what it's worth is start now

Miss Molly Moo (aka The Piranha/The four legged Mouth) GSD 31/10
Raennik Hassan (Cooper) GSD 19/10/11
Paris Tabby Cat 15 years
Texas Tabby Cat 15 years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 AM

My new boy was around 09 weeks when brought home, and received only first shot, but we always out and roaming around blocks. Of course I avoid the dog park or route with lots of dog, but supermarket, bookstore, and cafes are the places that I took him to. I think a risk is very minimal, thus go ahead to let your puppy out as much as you can so later on you will have a well socialized dog.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 AM

I would be careful with choosing the dogs with whom he is allowed to socialize, and avoid stray ones. Also, avoid grasses or pee/poop of other dogs.

My puppy is currently almost 7 months, and only at 6 months he got all his shots (the delay was due to some health issues). He had lost a precious socializing window opportunity, and now he has yet to learn dog-to-dog manners, while he's losing his puppy license. He can go very rough, and it's hard to deal with it now.

So if your puppy is healthy, just avoid putting him at potentially risky situations but allow him to socialize as much as possible.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Socialize as much as you can but use your common sense.

Friends with dogs you know are healthy and friendly. Place that aren't frequented by loose and potentially ill dogs (no dog parks for awhile). But you can't wait! Get that puppy in the car and go!!!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page