Snarling and face licking. What was that? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Snarling and face licking. What was that?

Today Kira met an 8 month old Malanois. It was a friendly meeting, and both dogs were leashed.
As the dogs sniffed each other, Kira just stood there, head and shoulders high, with her TEETH in a SNARL. She wasn't snapping, she just stood there. The other dog took this as an in vittation to lick Kira's mouth.
Each time Kira snarled, the other dog licked. It was a form of ritualistic greeting.

Anyone familiar with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Master Member

The other dog was maybe being submissive to her. Saying "hey we can be friends!"

Brody: GSD May 2010 Von der Sauk
Zella : Pitbull, July 2006
Fritzy: GSD February 2008
Pita: Cavalier July 2011
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Crowned Member

The other dog obviously was submitting to her. Licking is a calming signal Dog Body Language: Lip Licking
http://dogtime.com/dog-speak-face-li...n-safford.html
If your dog continues to show dominant behavior, she better hope all dogs will submit and not challenge her! I would watch her very carefully and not let her be so close that dogs have the option of licking or biting her. Body language for both dogs should be observed before you let them greet each other.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-23-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley1905 View Post
The other dog was maybe being submissive to her. Saying "hey we can be friends!"
This ^^^
However, Kira may be fear agressive. There was no need for her reaction like that with a submissive puppy.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 PM
Crowned Member

I agree, Kira probably was showing fearfulness...how was her tail set? If she wasn't wagging, it wasn't friendly. Most dogs are dominant/aggressive out of fear...the fight or flight. And because they were both on leash there was no way for the flight to occur.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Some of you know her history. As much as it was peaceful, this is why I posted it. I had a suspicion that this could be a problem down the road.
Kira was pinned in the past, and maybe this is the signal that she was sending, and the reason why it happened.

Two things here that I'm concerned about.

1) if this is a form of dominance, the other dog may not always submit, and there could be a problem.

2) since Kira was pinned a couple times, many of us here had a concern that she may become fear aggressive. Hopefully, this isn't the first sign of this.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

If she has been traumatized it could take a long time for her to get over it.
If she is just warning and allowing the puppy to lick her face, that's not so bad. Using warning gestures isn't always bad because most dogs realize that your dog is just saying she is not in a mood to be messed with. It doesn't necessarily mean she is going to attack.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Crowned Member

Was she standing stiff with her hackles (hairs behind her neck and down her back) standing straight up?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:41 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
You may have already but if not, locate a good behaviorist that has a strong background in GSD. It goes without saying but will anyway check references. Save you a lesson I've learned the hard way.

Your pup will learn coping skills, you'll learn the signs to watch for to give her direction before it gets to the teeth showing point.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

I should add, a slow wag is not a friendly wag. It is up to you, Anthony to help her get thru the pinning and carry on. Just don't let her be put in situations where she is the one that has to decide how to act. You need to be her brain on some of these new exchanges until she can get over it. Have treats and stay upbeat during the greetings, then walk her away without play/interaction for the first few times.
Personally, I don't care if my dog ever greets another, as long as there is no reactive behavior, it is all good. I don't need them to play with strange dogs and they don't need it either.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Always in my heart
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page