First heat, silent heat? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

First heat, silent heat?

I think Versailles has been in heat for about a week now. I noticed last week her behavior was a bit weird, and when I examined her it did look a tad swollen, but no blood. I figured maybe it was a fluke and I was wrong, as not a lot of dogs were showing any interest and again, no blood.

I went training at a new club on Sunday and after she trained someone asked who had a bitch in heat, as I guess their malinois was responding to it. I told them that I thought she may have been, but hadn't seen anything so figured I was wrong.

Yesterday, my friends neutered bull mastiff who she has met MANY, many times, was acting VERY determined to get at her, drooling, chattering teeth, air humping, so I took her home and at this point I figure it is safe to say she is in heat.

Is it common to have a very light heat, or a silent heat, in their first cycle? I have never owned an in tact bitch, so this is all very new to me. Any advice or stories are welcome!

www.rescuedrover.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Knighted Member

Lakota had a silent or a very light first heat too. I kept waiting & watching, she showed a light of little signs but I was never really able to confirm the 1st one. Her second was also very light, she was spayed shortly after that. I'll concider myself lucky.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Knighted Member

Yep silent heats do occur. We still aren't sure if Wiva had her first heat. If she did, it was silent. But even silent heats have signs that we probably just missed. There should be swelling of the vulva. Discharge doesn't have to be bloody. It can be clear. The female could stop eating, behavior can change and she will sometimes try to "hide" the area. As the cycle moves along, she might "flag" by holding her tail high. She might also pee more.

Ash
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

She has been pretty snuggly and a lot "nicer" than usual, but otherwise appears normal (though being cuddly is a pretty big deal for her!). She is still eating well and my male lab and her are still wrestling like mad fools, but I do imagine that this is a heat cycle. I certainly don't mind the lack of bleeding!

www.rescuedrover.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Knighted Member

Females do get more affectionate and clingy when the cycle starts. Hope your male is fixed

Ash

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Ha, yes, he is. I will not have little lab/shepherds running around here, thanks! :P

www.rescuedrover.com
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Knighted Member

lol I know you wouldn't let that happen even if he was intact. I meant more that it is such a HUGE pain in the rear when you have an intact male and female in the same house. Separating them for the duration of the heat is not fun

Ash

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Whoops, I spoke too soon! It came today. Yuck! She is not very fond of her diaper, but I think she'll survive... LOL.

www.rescuedrover.com
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Elite Member

Not sure how to know if Stella is in heat

Stella is 6 months old and I am not really sure how to know for sure when she is in heat. I have a neutered 9 year old newfie mix and don't know how he will react or if he will at all. Yesterday at the dog park there was a little dog that kept trying to hump Stella but I know this doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being in heat. Also, what do I do for exercise when she does go into heat? I can't imagine being homebound for 3 weeks without losing my mind.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

Zefra will be 9 months on the 15th of January is now currently in heat too... we are only about 2-3 days in with no interest from Stark at this point. They are being kept separated obviously and I laugh and say we are in "lock down!" mode - which by the way our set up .. is true!

Zefra IS bleeding though, although very light and she is keeping herself VERY clean which I am happy about.

Give it another 5-6 days and we may have a different story. So far a little interest from those we train with but nothing distracting.. we will train until she is a distraction to the other dogs (which very well may be our next meet).

I should mention that this too is her first heat... although I thought she may of had one about a month ago or so.. but was wrong.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page