Is my dog a runt? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Is my dog a runt?

My puppy was about a month old when we got him, he is now a little over 2 years old and weighs about 70lbs. I understand german shepherds usually take 3 years to fully mature or develop. But I assumed he'd be done with most of his growing by now. We have him in obedience school right now and the other german shepherd in the class is a little taller and a lot huskier than our dog, at only 7 months! We're trying not to let him get overweight, maybe we're overdoing it? Thanks for any comments or opinions.

Here's a couple of links to photos:

IMGP0028 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMGP0024-3 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Knighted Member

He looks great! 70lbs is a perfectly normal weight for a GSD. My dog has been between 70-75lbs since he was full grown.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Elite Member

We have 5 male GSDs in our house, 2 are right at 70lbs, one is usually around 77lbs, one is 82lbs and the big boy (to us) is 89lbs.
I think the 3 dogs in the 70lb range are the most athletic and agile and are the size we love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

No, your dog is not a runt--your dog is actually within the standard! That puppy that is bigger than yours at 7 months of age is going to be oversize.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Your dog actually looks very nice. At 2 he will still probably continue to muscle up and fill out some but don't try to put it on him. He will add muscle if it is in his genetics to do so.

My male is 74lbs and I like the smaller side of normal. At 8.5 he is still fit and agile.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments. We were worried that maybe we were under nourishing him, or that maybe he was just a runt!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:20 AM
Master Member

Your boy is very handsome.

I wouldn't worry about him. For some reason, the general public thinks GSD's should be over 100 pds. Not true at all.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Knighted Member

You don't want an oversized GSD. GSDs were not meant to be 100+ lb dogs. Feed him only what he requires to stay at a stable weight. Don't try to add on excessive weight. It will cause elbow and hip problems. Genetics determines a dog's frame so overfeeding the dog won't make a difference in the bone, it will just put on excessive weight on a frame that can't handle it. Your boy looks great!!!

Ash

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 AM

He looks just fine to me! My Gunny is 2 yrs old and is about 75lbs. They both look very similar. I'm constantly asking my vet (who's also a family friend) if he's too skinny. She tells me he's perfect! I am glad to hear that they can take 3 years to fully mature or develop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page