Camp Bow Wow revisited - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Camp Bow Wow revisited

A couple months ago, I looked into a local Camp Bow Wow.
If you're not familiar with them, here's their website for my local camp:
Camp Bow Wow Staten Island Dog Daycare and Dog Boarding

I was wondering what the overall opinion would be to bring Kira into a camp like this for some ocassional supervised socializing?

The camp is 21,000 sq feet of indoor and outdoor play area, will various levels of social groups taylored for each individual dog.

The fee for up to a 6 hour day is only 22.00

There are a few local shepherd owners that drop their dogs off at least three times a week, and they claim that their dogs sleep like a baby when they get home.

Have any of you had any experience with Camp Bow Wow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:35 PM

A friend's daughter actually owns a Camp Bow Wow franchise. (I'm in Arizona) To each his own I always say, but I don't agree with the philosophy (I don't do dog parks either). I just don't see the reasoning behind putting a bunch of strange dogs together in the same room or park off leash. It's got the potential for disaster, no matter how well "supervised" you think it may be. The gal I know that owns the franchise has had a few mishaps happen, no matter how well you screen the dogs coming in, they are still dogs and have pack mentality, one goes down, the rest of the pack turns on it. I could think of a million other ways to socialize a puppy that wouldn't involve being off leash with strange dogs. Just my very humble opinion.

Kathy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayek9 View Post
A friend's daughter actually owns a Camp Bow Wow franchise. (I'm in Arizona) To each his own I always say, but I don't agree with the philosophy (I don't do dog parks either). I just don't see the reasoning behind putting a bunch of strange dogs together in the same room or park off leash. It's got the potential for disaster, no matter how well "supervised" you think it may be. The gal I know that owns the franchise has had a few mishaps happen, no matter how well you screen the dogs coming in, they are still dogs and have pack mentality, one goes down, the rest of the pack turns on it. I could think of a million other ways to socialize a puppy that wouldn't involve being off leash with strange dogs. Just my very humble opinion.

I have to agree with you. I had an issue a couple months ago, so i'm already leery of dog parks and social environments.

That's why I brought it up here. I was curious if others were using a place like this to give themselves a break
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Elite Member

I enjoy your posts Anthony. I'm not a huge fan of dog parks or daycare. It does wear out the dog but then again so does trick training or nose games. We got to a great training facility in Woodinville, WA where the dogs are allowed supervised play before or after class. Every few months, the owners throw a party and graduates of the class are allowed to play off leash. I'm much more comfortable with this arrangement.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Crowned Member

I've never taken my personal dogs to CBW, but I know several people who do and they are all very happy with it. None of them are shepherds however, all the people I know that go there have labs.

GSD's, as a rule of thumb (before all the exceptions start chiming in) aren't big "doggie daycare" type dogs once they hit sexual maturity. Even if they go as puppies. So if you have a VERY doggie social dog, it could be a great thing, but they aren't labradors.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Master Member

I have heard very bad things about the CBW franchise that we have here in Fort Collins but that being said, they are franchises so I would suggest going to have a meeting with the people who run the one close to you. See how they handle the dogs and ask the tough questions. I know the one here has webcams so maybe even jump on the webcam and watch them before you take your dog.

Personally, having worked at several different daycares, I wouldn't take my dog to a daycare. While I worked with many wonderful, very dog savvy people there were also a fair share of idiots. It is knowing that no matter how well daycares screen and train their employees, dogs are still dogs and people are still people, that keeps me from feeling comfortable dropping my dog off.

If your dog would benefit however and you feel really comfortable with the people at your local franchise, maybe give him a couple half days so that he doesn't get tired and grumpy at the daycare.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
GSD's, as a rule of thumb (before all the exceptions start chiming in) aren't big "doggie daycare" type dogs once they hit sexual maturity. Even if they go as puppies. So if you have a VERY doggie social dog, it could be a great thing, but they aren't labradors.
I do strongly agree with this! We had only about 3 or 4 GSDs that came to the daycares I worked at and all of them were kicked out by the time they were a year and half. Not because they were vicious dogs or DA but they were just too pushy and too reactive to other dogs. Not a good temperament for a large group of dogs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 AM
Master Member

Liesl is 12mths old, we've been taking her to a local business called Rover Oaks sporadically since she was 5 months. They are basically the same type of set up as CBW--screen the dog for half a day to make sure of its temperament, then let a pack of about 20 dogs play together on a spacious playground, with climbing and agility equipment, and several young men supervising and assisting the play, throwing balls, etc.

She has gotten along well with the other dogs, and based on our short observations all the other dogs have done well with each other. She has enjoyed these visits and gotten lots of exercise, come home pooped (fell asleep in the car on the early visits!).

Maybe I just haven't had a bad experience "yet", but I give these places a thumbs up. She is very well socialized with dogs, and wags her tail and enthusiastically greets all the dogs we see on our walks, even the foul-tempered little ones. By nature she is weak-nerved and a little timid until she feels comfortable, then turns into Ms. Personality. I think her experiences at Rover Oaks have helped build her confidence with dogs and people (but we also work heavily on socialization due to her weak nerves).

So, my two cents is that if you are comfortable with the setup and your dog likes it, go for it. If there is a bad experience, then you decide whether to continue there or not.

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Knighted Member

Dharma has been going to our local doggie day care since she was a puppy. She loves it and they love her there. I have never had a problem, with her or the other dogs or the staff. But we also go to the dog park regularly and love that as well.

Debbi-
Mom to:
-Dharma Van Fluffy Pants GSD
-Pippa Von Neurotic Butt- GSD
-Tessa- 11yo GSD- Waiting at the Bridge. RIP sweet girl.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 PM

We use our local CBW to board our dogs when we go out of town. They both love it there. That being said, they are both very laid back dogs with no dog aggression issues

Layla

Bella - GSD mix (3/21/10)
Harley - GSD (2/5/10)
Baron - GSD (10/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page