Stimulating, Mentally - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to SamanthaBrynn
Stimulating, Mentally

So I just read some posts about the weather, etc. I'm wondering, on those days where it's just to nasty to get out, what do you do inside to stimulate your GSD's mentally? Especially for a puppy? We have a food cube that she loves but now she's bored with it and the teaser ball is a chew toy to her. She isn't ball driven...better now than a few months ago and I can't figure out if she gets hide and seek or not lol. So, let us know how you stimulate your pups!

Samantha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Callie (GSD) Born May 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Casper (Mix) 7 years
My goal is to someday be the person my dogs think I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Master Member

Google "101 things to do with a box"...its super fun! And quite amuzing for the human...LOL

Also, I do a lot of targeting on a flipped over rubber dog bowl. I have used this to teach amazing left and right turns, my front position, heel position and send outs!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Crowned Member

I use 2 different dog puzzles
I use the Everlasting Treatball
I use the Everlasting Fun Ball
I have the Tug-A-Jug and use it to feed them with 1 meal daily

I play "hide n seek" with my GSDs. I'll tell them to sit in their crates in my room and then I'll hide somewhere else in the house and yell out "ok" to release them and they come looking for me.

We also play "find it" with treats. I have my male go sit in his kennel while I drag a treat on the ground creating a scent trail and then I'll hide it out of sight. I'll yell out "find it!" and then he comes out and sniffs the ground and follows the trail until he finds it.

We play another form of "find it" too. I have him go sit in his kennel and wait and I take all the shoes in the house and scatter them around, I put the treat in one shoe and he has to find which shoe it is. But I have him check every single shoe until he finds it.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to SamanthaBrynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I use 2 different dog puzzles
I use the Everlasting Treatball
I use the Everlasting Fun Ball
I have the Tug-A-Jug and use it to feed them with 1 meal daily

I play "hide n seek" with my GSDs. I'll tell them to sit in their crates in my room and then I'll hide somewhere else in the house and yell out "ok" to release them and they come looking for me.

We also play "find it" with treats. I have my male go sit in his kennel while I drag a treat on the ground creating a scent trail and then I'll hide it out of sight. I'll yell out "find it!" and then he comes out and sniffs the ground and follows the trail until he finds it.

We play another form of "find it" too. I have him go sit in his kennel and wait and I take all the shoes in the house and scatter them around, I put the treat in one shoe and he has to find which shoe it is. But I have him check every single shoe until he finds it.
These are GREAT ideas...Thank you!

Samantha

Callie (GSD) Born May 24, 2011

Casper (Mix) 7 years
My goal is to someday be the person my dogs think I am.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 AM

i absolutely love the hide and seek one and i think it really helps develop the bond when your dogs goal is to find you! great great time...you just have to find the time to teach them a good stay or wait... mine still has a difficult time with that. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page