How big do you think he'll get? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

How big do you think he'll get?

I know Iorek's still young, and right now he's in that awkward stage where his head is too small for his body and he still looks real lanky, etc., but just out of plain curiosity I wanted to get some thoughts/opinions on what size he might be as an adult. (Basically, what his head size and overall size might be?) Some people have said he'll be about medium-sized, while others have said he'll be over the standard.

What do you guys think?

(He's about 6 months in these pictures)

17 weeks

As a younger puppy

(7 weeks)

(8 weeks)

His sire:
SG Ali von den Schwedenschanzen - German Shepherd Dog

His dam:
Elsa von dem Waldkonig - German Shepherd Dog

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Kamahi; 12-06-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Knighted Member

Well, for starters, how much does he weigh now?

How big are his parents?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

without any current weight information or information on his parents, i'm going to be the smart aleck who says "He'll be as big as his genetics tell him to be!"

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Master Member

How big were his parents?

They both look to be about medium build, so I would think he should be around their size. However, sometimes pups take on genes from past generations and grow A LOT larger than their parents!

My boy was 35lbs at 4 months and now at 6 months he is 55lbs. He is a working line, and now his mothers size, his dad was about 70lbs. So both medium build parents, his whole litter just seems to be taking on a larger size(she had 12 LARGE pups, 1st litter). My 2 year old female is 55lbs and the largest of her litter by about 5lbs or so, she is 55 lbs. Her mom was 50 lbs and her dad was almost 90lbs, there were only 4 females born all, her sisters are smaller than her though.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I think he's around 45-50 lbs at 6 1/2 months. (I haven't weighed him in a while..I usually weigh him at Petsmart or in the vet's office, but I haven't taken him to either lately) I remember his breeder saying his sire was a little over the standard at about 68cm; I'm not sure about his dam, but from meeting her in person I think she's a pretty good sized female. (though that probably doesn't help much; sorry!)

I should also add that he was the second smallest in the litter, even though his breeder did mention that when the litter grew up they would all be about the same size, with maybe a few inches difference.

I know size isn't everything, but I don't want people thinking he's a female all his life either. (I have had several people ask me or assume he was a female)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Hard to tell from pictures, especially because each one goes through a growth spurt at a different time. My boy was about 50 lbs at 6 months and his sire/dam were 95/60. We wanted something in the middle, well at 16 months he's now 26 inches tall and 80 lbs. Still has some filling out to do but it looks like we're going to be somewhere in the 80-90+ range. You have a male, so most likely he will be around his sire's size, unless there are some bigger/smaller dogs up the genetic ladder.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Elite Member

I found this website today - How to Calculate Adult Dog Weight During Puppyhood | The Daily Puppy

Not sure how accurate their math is, but you can try it. It's supposedly for a mixed breed puppy... not sure what the difference would be.

Take the weight of your medium to large mixed-breed puppy at 14 weeks and multiple it by 2. Halve the weight of your puppy at 14 weeks and add it to the total of the weight at 14 weeks multiplied by 2. For example, if your puppy weighs 20 pounds at 14 weeks multiple 20 by 2 to get 40 pounds. Add 10 pounds (1/2 of 20) to the 40 pounds. Your puppy's adult weight will be about 50 pounds.

I found another site that you can actually add the puppy's breed. (The difference is quite a bit between the two sites)
http://www.puppyweights.com/

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kittilicious; 12-06-2011 at 03:49 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittilicious View Post
I found this website today - How to Calculate Adult Dog Weight During Puppyhood | The Daily Puppy

Not sure how accurate their math is, but you can try it. It's supposedly for a mixed breed puppy... not sure what the difference would be.

Take the weight of your medium to large mixed-breed puppy at 14 weeks and multiple it by 2. Halve the weight of your puppy at 14 weeks and add it to the total of the weight at 14 weeks multiplied by 2. For example, if your puppy weighs 20 pounds at 14 weeks multiple 20 by 2 to get 40 pounds. Add 10 pounds (1/2 of 20) to the 40 pounds. Your puppy's adult weight will be about 50 pounds.

I found another site that you can actually add the puppy's breed. (The difference is quite a bit between the two sites) Looking for a Puppy Weight Chart?
I tried this with two of my dogs and it is only off by a few pounds...although my female has not reached her full adult weight, I guesstimate that in the end it will only be off by 8 lbs or so!

Also, to the OP, don't worry about people assuming he is a female, they tend to do that with the working lines because they are used to seeing the show lines who are much bigger.

In the working line world, my female gets mistaken for a male quite often because of her larger head - but she is still only 55lbs...its not unusual for smaller males to be in these lines (Height wise) they will usually just weigh more as adults due to the muscle.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:37 PM

He looks wonderfully proportioned to me- such a gorgeous boy!

I tried that second link, and it said my pup will be classed as 'large' but 31% under the average weight for the GSD breed- I don't think that will be the case, but we'll see.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittilicious View Post

I found another site that you can actually add the puppy's breed. (The difference is quite a bit between the two sites)
Looking for a Puppy Weight Chart?
I just tried the second link and there is no way that is accurate... I'm not sure what my gsd's weight is right now at exactly one year (haven't weighed him in awhile), but I know he was 13 pounds at 8 weeks. I put the information in and according to the website, he will be 39 pounds, full-grown... No way. He's at the very least, 75lbs right now. He was around 60lbs at 6 months but his growing has slowed significantly (although he's currently going through a growth spurt).

Anyway, all I'm saying is that the OP shouldn't worry too much if they use that website
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page