First time in a puppy class.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

First time in a puppy class....

Hi all,

Gunnar went to his first puppy class today at Petsmart and did awesome. He was calm and performed his commands well. Calm, also when a pit a few feet away was going crazy trying to lunge toward him (he was a nice pit just super energetic). Really proud of him. The trainer has insisted a couple times that she thinks Gunnar should be neutered. The reason is that she says he will eventually be more aggressive and bark at other dogs when his hormones start coming around (Gunnar is 3 months now). Plus, she had trained another sable dog from the same kennel which she uses as her reason. Now Gunnar is obviously a working dog and will have more drive than others but we think as long as he is socialized with other dogs consistently he won't have any issues with dogs in the future. He has a good pedigree with imported parents and we may breed him in the future and get one of his pups. Does anyone here get offended when ppl say you should get your purebred german shepherd neutered? Thoughts on possible future aggression with dogs??

Brand New GSD owner so I appreciate the comments. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor'sHaus View Post
Hi all,

Gunnar went to his first puppy class today at Petsmart and did awesome. He was calm and performed his commands well. Calm, also when a pit a few feet away was going crazy trying to lunge toward him (he was a nice pit just super energetic). Really proud of him. The trainer has insisted a couple times that she thinks Gunnar should be neutered. The reason is that she says he will eventually be more aggressive and bark at other dogs when his hormones start coming around (Gunnar is 3 months now). Plus, she had trained another sable dog from the same kennel which she uses as her reason. Now Gunnar is obviously a working dog and will have more drive than others but we think as long as he is socialized with other dogs consistently he won't have any issues with dogs in the future. He has a good pedigree with imported parents and we may breed him in the future and get one of his pups. Does anyone here get offended when ppl say you should get your purebred german shepherd neutered? Thoughts on possible future aggression with dogs??

Brand New GSD owner so I appreciate the comments. Thanks!
You will get a bunch of comments on this, I'm sure.

Forget the PetSmart chic for now. Do your own research and do what you feel is best for your dog!

My dog is not pb and I'm not neutering yet. (He will NOT be allowed to breed, of course.) I'm hoping to get to the two year mark. That decision came as a result of reading here and using that information to research more via the internet. A very personal decision. Just don't let anyone online or in real life pressure you into anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page