Puppy Manners - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Puppy Manners

Beau is getting bigger - at 37 lbs he is getting big for Cyra at 50lbs and she is dysplastic to tolerate.

Although I was worried about her eating him alive she is tolerating him jumping ALL over her and by now I figure she should give him a good correction but she is not and I find myself stepping in. I am so surpirsed because she is somewhat dog aggressive but is holding back on Beau. Grim is back to "taking it too" and just doing what he can to avoid Beau.

I am seeing an older (18 weeks) puppy jumping all over dogs and getting away with it. This just recently started up - he was doing well after one correction by Grim a few weeks ago and was not bothering Cyra. In any event I am not letting them run around the yard supervised as a threesome.....because 3 on 1 can be different than 1 on 1.

Sevaral times I have jumped in and scruffed him and am thinking about their together time only being inside where I can catch him for now and enforce good manners and not doing one on one but just having EVERYBODY out and being on top of things.

I feel pretty confident in being able to control Grim and Cyra -- and Beau seems quite hard when it comes to taking any sort of correction (plus I am giving him lots of good praise and rewards for being calm and nice)

Any opinions on this? I think we are becoming a teenager now

Well I am ready to take a tums afer this evening.........it did not help that at 900 at night the neighbors let THEIR dogs out and they come right up to my fence (which is INSIDE my property line) and fence fight which THEY never seem to hear so it is alway MY dogs being brought in. On the agenda is to go to my property line and put up a cheap wire fence to prevent their dogs getting to my privacy fence. Grrrrrr.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM

We had a somewhat similar rough housing problem with ours. Its not really Piper that does it, but Violet our collie will rough house a little too hard and get overly boisterous it was a real problem for a little while. The collie is really insensitive to any type of voice correction, the only thing that works for her is separation, or time outs.

What we found that works really well is 1 to 2 minute quiet time outs in the crate. It only took a couple of times in a row for Violet to catch on that the behavior she was doing wasn't okay and it has pretty much stopped now.

As far as the outside behavior...I don't have much advice for that one. Our neighbors hooked onto my fence while I was at work, which is also almost a foot inside my property line.

I've finally just decided to put up a privacy fence this summer and say the heck with it. They have a "schnoodle" which they refuse to correct when it comes out and immediately starts antagonizing our two. Good fences make good neighbors I think is the saying.

Violet - Collie
Piper - GSD RIP
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Fortunately for that I put MY fence inside my line because I did not want mine against theres but they only have fence on the sides, not the back and the dogs slip out the back and come over to my property. The fence was put up by a previous owner to block kids fron cutting across their yard to get to the creek.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 03:23 PM
Master Member

your puppy has what is called a "puppy license" with most adult dogs, they will let him get away with pretty much everything until he hits 5-6 months old.. then the corrections may start from the adult dogs. some adult dogs just wont correct an obnoxious pup, some will overcorrect, and some will correct the proper way.. if you see your older dog getting agitated at the pup and not correcting the pup you can then step in and correct the pup to tone it down a bit or remove the pup from the situation. and honestly i wouldnt scruff a pup and if he isnt taking the scruff correction then find another way to correct him(like leashing him and taking him away from the fun) some dogs/pups dont care about scruffing, it doesnt phase them.

Maryellen
Rufus CGC,ATTS,TherapyDog
Sadie ATTS
Honey

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

That's a good point. Vote two for basically a time out. I think he is physically very hard. THank God he connects very well visually and wants to please. I have spent more time in the house disracting and rewarding good behavior and it was a bit better today.

Cyra suprised me though because she is normally very assertive with other dogs jumping on her. She have never drawn blood or continued past them getting the message....I am figuring on more supervised time together in small bits too. Once the excitement drops he starts doing other things. More of our one on one time will be involving the other dogs more.

Nancy

- Partner in Crime
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
That's a good point. Vote two for basically a time out. I think he is physically very hard. THank God he connects very well visually and wants to please. I have spent more time in the house disracting and rewarding good behavior and it was a bit better today.

Cyra suprised me though because she is normally very assertive with other dogs jumping on her. She have never drawn blood or continued past them getting the message....I am figuring on more supervised time together in small bits too. Once the excitement drops he starts doing other things. More of our one on one time will be involving the other dogs more.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Distract, redirect, reinforce good behavior, and a timeout if he won't settle down and play nice. Puppies are EXHAUSTING!!!

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page