City approved a 100K dog park - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

City approved a 100K dog park

Just heard....

There's a local dog lover's group that applied for the contruction of a fancy dog park.
From what I've heard, the city approved 100K in renovation costs to create a fenced in play area for pups, and mature dogs. I hear the areas will have fresh water pools, and play areas for agility, and dog "runs" along the sides.

It's nice to see that the city recognizes the needs of the pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Honestly I hate seeing dog parks being paid for with tax money when we are talking about shutting down the post office.....I guess maybe because I refuse to take my dog there because of all the issues with the lack of entrance requirements and owners who don't control their dogs.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

From what I understand, the funds are from the dog lover's group. They've had this organization for many years, and charge annual membership fees. The fees are pooled into the park fund.
They produced the plans and the money, and the city approved he work.

I don't belong to the group, and I have no intention of joining, but for FWIW... Not everyone has a big yard or the ability to socialize their dogs. I thnk it's good for city living.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Honestly I hate seeing dog parks being paid for with tax money when we are talking about shutting down the post office.....I guess maybe because I refuse to take my dog there because of all the issues with the lack of entrance requirements and owners who don't control their dogs.
well, 100k seems like a lot for a dog park.. It could be something as simple as two fenced in areas one for big dogs and one for little dogs. Pools and such seem a little over the top, as a large rectangle would do just fine for hucking tennis balls.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Knighted Member

That sounds really nice. Hopefully, only clean and responsible people attend. I love the ponds at my dog park since there's nowhere else for Mikko to swim. He'll swim for an hour straight- it's great exercise!

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:20 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Oh it sounded like from the first email that the city was going to pay the 100k.
I know how tough it is. I think I would look though for other options .....were I in the city.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Elite Member

I agree that the city shouldn't pay but privately funded sounds fine plus I'm hoping if its an organization that funded it hopefully they will set and enforce rules there also.

As for people that don't have a yard I live on post and have basically nothing for a backyard. Its about 20x20 and not fenced in. I still don't take Jinx to a dog park its not there to exercise you're dog and thats where the issues come from when people use it for exercising their dogs. For socializing with rules and boundaries fine but not for your source of exericising your dog because you can't figure anything else to do. When Jinx was little we went some but now at a year she has grown more confident and does NOT like rude pushy dogs so I refuse to put her in that environment.

I do like the idea of ponds and other things because when you just have fence and grass with a bunch of dogs it can create problems with dogs forcing others even harder to play or people bring toys in which of course causes issues as well.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page