Playing with neighbor's dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Playing with neighbor's dog

Steffi just turned 7 weeks old and yesterday I saw my neighbor playing fetch with his year old GSD/border collie mix so I decided to introduce my puppy. At first, Steffi was so happy and excited to see my neighbor's dog and she looked up to her as if she were her mommy. The other dog played nice until Steffi started biting in her usual playful manner and that must've pissed off the other dog because she started to jump around and slap, kick Steffi to the ground to get top position and pin her down. And the other dog also did this mean move where she would run away and then come running back and tackle her full speed. Steffi liked it at first but then she must've felt threatened and started yelping and ran toward me to help her. When I brought Steffi back inside, I can tell her ego took a hit because she acted timid and just wanted to lay down. And she seemed to be a bit sore from the pounding her body took because she was moaning a bit.
I felt bad that I let Steffi get beat up like that but I guess that's how all dogs play? And I don't think I'll let Steffi play with that dog anymore until she gets a little older and bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Crowned Member

7 week old puppy playing with an adult dog they dont know? not exactly wise IMO. The minute your puppy started being obnoxious and you noticed the other dog behaving a little more rough, you should have ended the play. Just my opinion. The other dog was probably excited and got carried away in playing but its no excuse for allowing the other dog to behave roughly with your pup. Some pups can take it but it was allowed to go too far.

I know how rough a GSD/BC mix can be when they get excited. I also know how quickly they lose patience with younger dogs who start playing roughly. Dont let it go that far next time.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
7 week old puppy playing with an adult dog they dont know? not exactly wise IMO. The minute your puppy started being obnoxious and you noticed the other dog behaving a little more rough, you should have ended the play. Just my opinion. The other dog was probably excited and got carried away in playing but its no excuse for allowing the other dog to behave roughly with your pup. Some pups can take it but it was allowed to go too far.

I know how rough a GSD/BC mix can be when they get excited. I also know how quickly they lose patience with younger dogs who start playing roughly. Dont let it go that far next time.
I couldn't agree more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I felt terrible afterwards and was really concerned when Steffi acted like she was in pain. But thank God she was back to normal the next morning and running around and jumping again. I never had a puppy, just adopted an adult dog before this one and now I'm realizing how delicate they are. And when my neighbor's dog was starting to go crazy I was like uh-oh they're getting a bit rough but my neighbor said oh that's normal, she'll be fine and scoffed at me like I'm being overprotective.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

its okay to be overprotective. a lot of dogs play really rough and most are reserved with puppies but sometimes there is that one dog who forgets they're dealing with a puppy and takes things too far. Being overprotective can be the fine line between having a puppy who is fearful of other dogs or reactive and having the puppy who grows up to be well rounded and okay with other dogs. Its your job to protect your puppy. We all have moments where we miss something when we shouldnt have. It happens. Learn from it and move on. Socialize your puppy with dogs you know are good and friendly and vaccinated.

I wouldnt allow her to play with other dogs you dont know until she's fully vaccinated too just to be safe.

Good thing about puppies, they're made of rubber. They bounce back pretty quickly.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Crowned Member

A large dog can hurt a pup that young very easily without meaning to. I would wait until the pup is a bit older before playing with an adult dog. Furthermore, your puppy should not be around any other dogs at this point, we have no idea whether her first set of puppy shots will give any immunity, and many problems dogs get do not have vaccinations, young puppies and old dogs are more susceptible.

Wait until the pup has its second set of shots and then find a puppy class. Puppies will be around the same age and less likely to be able to hurt your dog.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page