Is he too big? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Is he too big?

I just listed Knuckles' weight on that ongoing thread, but as I was reading others' posts I noticed Knuckles seems to be very heavy for his age. He'll be 12 weeks on Sunday... he's 30lbs even.
Is he too heavy? He's not fat. He's eating about 3-4 cups a day of food (Exclusive Large Breed Adult).

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Elite Member

In my experience, no. They all grow at different stages. Our Kaos was 22 @ 9 weeks when we brought him home. His average adult weight, when he was young, healthy and active was 105. Now last night at the vet, I am sad to say he was 120....although the vet still commented she would like him to lose weight for his knees sake, but by looking and feeling he is not overweight.....but he's a big boy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:11 PM

no way. They grow at different paces. If he isn't fat then he must be a good weight. Nova was 23 pounds at 8 weeks!!!! Now at almost 3 she is only about 65-70 and 25" at the withers. She was a massive pup (not fat) and did not grow much after about 6-7 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:12 PM

I wouldn't worry about it if he's not overweight. That actually seems like where he should be if you look at some off site sources that have puppy "averages". When Luna was 12 weeks she was only 17 lbs, but she's always been on the smaller side and really skinny. Don't let averages bother you; just make sure your pup is healthy.

Luna: GSD puppy rescue
Niki: 12 yo Shih tzu/ lhasa apso mix
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Knighted Member

I used to wonder just the opposite.
Kira was only 13.5 lbs at 12 weeks. Now she's 35lbs at 4.5 months.

Were his parents large?

Kira's parents were about 75 and 85 lbs, so I figure, regardless of her weight while growing up, she'll eventually end up just like the rest of her family.

Her breeder told me that every one of his dogs have always been about half their adult weight at the 5 month mark. That may be true for his dogs, but not for all.

I suspect Kira will be about 38-40 pounds in a couple weeks, so that would put her right on HER breeder's schedule, but way off all those charts floating around the internet.

Knuckles is only about 10 lbs ahead of Kira, so he could very well end up about 100 lbs. That wouldn't be too unusual.

Last edited by Anthony8858; 11-11-2011 at 05:28 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Elite Member

My boy was just over 30lbs at 12 weeks and like yours was not fat at all. He was very much on the lean side. He is now 8 months and is just under 80lbs but is still really lean....perhaps leaner than most would like but I don't want him too much heavier on those growing bones. His mum and dad were both average so maybe he will slow down a bit from here or maybe he will just be bigger.... either way he is what he is and I just try not to let him get too fat.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Ok good. Whew. Thats a sigh of relief. It really did bother me there for a second. His dad is a big boy, very tall but not "beefy big". He's all legs His mom was average size I'd say, a good size for a female.

- Berleen -

Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

not an expert but dont puppies like children sometimes put on weight before a growth spurt of hieght? Maybe Knuckles is ready to shoot up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page