New pup, start socialization now or wait a bit? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

New pup, start socialization now or wait a bit?

We just got our pup almost 2 weeks ago. She is warming up quite nicely to our family but she is quite nervous around other dogs still. I take her out in our backyard to potty and she FREAKS when she hears the neighbor dog bark and will not do her business and RUN for the door back inside. I am wondering if now (she is not fully vaccinated, she is only 9 1/2 weeks old- that's why I hesitate) or later I should start to take her to be around other dogs like at a dog park or petsmart visits. I know she needs some socialization and I have been taking her outside in the neighborhood alot and she is good with other people but dogs she seems to have a harder time with, she is little so I get it but I defiantly want to build her confidence but I want her to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

No, don't take her to Petsmart or the dog park until she's fully vaccinated.

She needs to have controlled interactions with dogs you are familiar with and know are healthy and well-mannered. Friends' dogs, family members' dogs, etc.

Anthony88 posted a thread recently about his puppy that was doing great with her socialization until he took her to a public dog park area and a dog mauled her. Now she's terrified of all dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

She needs a couple of rounds of puppy shot before I'd take her places where there have been a lot of strange dogs. She can socialize with known dogs who are friendly, healthy, and up to date on vaccinations. I carried mine at the vet's at that age, and I'd never have let them walk around on the floor at Petsmart. You can put her in the cart if you like (bring a blanket or towel from home to put in the bottom). Have lots of people over to meet her and/or bring her to other people's houses for socialization.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
No, don't take her to Petsmart or the dog park until she's fully vaccinated.

She needs to have controlled interactions with dogs you are familiar with and know are healthy and well-mannered. Friends' dogs, family members' dogs, etc.

Anthony88 posted a thread recently about his puppy that was doing great with her socialization until he took her to a public dog park area and a dog mauled her. Now she's terrified of all dogs.

good grief! That is terrible, I might wait quite a while then for that. I have taken my older dog to some dog parks but thankfully never had that experience.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Knighted Member

Hi,
I'll suggest you do your socialization very slowly, and keep your pup away from any place that could possibly have her in a position to be dominated.
Forget the threat of parasites and other goodies lurking in the public parks, the other dogs will ruin her in a flash.

Go read my recent thread about Kira being afraid of dogs and puppies.
I've been dealing with the project of rebuilding my 4 month old GSD's confidence, and it's not easy.
Go slow.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Banned

enroll in a puppy class. throughout the week
have a few play dates with the pups in
the class.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Anthony- I am sorry that happened to Kira! I am sure if you keep working at it with her she will slowly come around.

Luci is great with people, even my crazy loud children but dogs are a different story. She was very nervous around Sam (our other dog) until only a few days ago, now they play all the time.

The puppy classes I think are a good idea, I might look into that. I don't want to overwhelm her and have her regress though so one step at a time.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

okay so now she wont go pee outside because the stupid people next door will not let their dog inside! It keeps barking over and over and she is so scared she will not go pee...WHAT DO I DO? I know she has to pee, its been almost 2 hours and I do not want her to make an accident because she is scared to go but I don't want to force her. Ugh.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Banned

take her somewhere other than the back yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas8099 View Post
okay so now she wont go pee outside because the stupid people next door will not let their dog inside! It keeps barking over and over and she is so scared she will not go pee...WHAT DO I DO? I know she has to pee, its been almost 2 hours and I do not want her to make an accident because she is scared to go but I don't want to force her. Ugh.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
take her somewhere other than the back yard.
I had to take her on a leash down the street, ugh. The neighbirs dog is really loud and she would not go anywhere that was close to where he was. I Literally had to go 6 houses down the street. I hope she gets used to the barking soon. Most everyone in our neighborhood has a dog it just so happens our neighbor is The only one who will leave their dog out barking for hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page