Scared of one dog, barks at another? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Scared of one dog, barks at another?

Sura, my 3 month old GSD acts very submissive (scared?) when she sees this one poodle in our neighborhood. She gets really low, ears back tail wagging and sometimes hides between my legs. I encourage the owner to bring his dog over so I can socialize my pup, but every time he brings the poodle over Sura pees everywhere.

But then when I take her home and our next door neighbors pit-bill is outside she stands upright, tail straightened out and barks at her.

Can anyone give me some insight?

Both dogs shes interacting with are adult females.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I wouldn't force the poodle on her right now. Just find a comfortable distance, praise her and tell her she's a good pup, and KEEP ON WALKING! That way I have a leadership role, nothing happens in relation to the poodle, and my pup just got tons of praise for moving on when the poodle is in the picture!

But keep meeting way more dogs. You can't just have one pitbull she loves and one poodle she's afraid of. Means she's currently terrified of 1/2 the dogs she knows! Keep taking her out. Meet and greets with good dogs (talk to your friends and neighbors about their dogs).

PUPPY CLASSES may work out for her.

Here's a playdate I arranged with my Glory and a good friend with her yellow Lab

And a few weeks later

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page