Adult GSD vs Puppy GSD - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Adult GSD vs Puppy GSD

Hey guys. I recently got a 5 month old GSD female puppy and I havent tried to to introduce her to my other GSDs. I have a 3 year old male and a 6 year old female who just had puppies in the backyard. I want to put my pup in the backyard with them but I'm afraid they might fight. I guess my question is, would both my adult GSDs know that she is a pup and not attack? What is the best way to break the ice? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

I would not introduce a new dog to a mom who had just had puppies. You could probably introduce her to the 3 year old male.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I would not introduce a new dog to a mom who had just had puppies. You could probably introduce her to the 3 year old male.
Thanks for the response. Can you please help me with identifying certain behaviors (when I introduce the 3 year male to my pup) that i should Be weary of? What are some good sings and bad signs? I'm asking to prevent any fighting before it happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Crowned Member

When I introduce a foster dog to my dogs, I try to do it on neutral territory. Would it be possible for them to meet at a park or down the street, somewhere besides your house? I've had the best results in letting dogs meet each other off-leash so they don't feel defensive.

The 4-month old will very likely submit immediately to the adult dog, and it's highly unlikely that an adult male would harm a female puppy.

If they both have good manners, they'll meet at a 90-degree angle to each other and sniff each other on the neck area, moving back to the anus and genitals. Expect to see a more upright "stiff" posture from your male and a lower "hunkered" posture from the puppy. It's a great sign if she rolls over on her back. You don't want to see them looking each other hard in the eye, she should turn her head and not make eye contact with him.

I honestly don't think you'll have much problem, especially if you can get them away from mom and pups and the home territory.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
When I introduce a foster dog to my dogs, I try to do it on neutral territory. Would it be possible for them to meet at a park or down the street, somewhere besides your house? I've had the best results in letting dogs meet each other off-leash so they don't feel defensive.

The 4-month old will very likely submit immediately to the adult dog, and it's highly unlikely that an adult male would harm a female puppy.

If they both have good manners, they'll meet at a 90-degree angle to each other and sniff each other on the neck area, moving back to the anus and genitals. Expect to see a more upright "stiff" posture from your male and a lower "hunkered" posture from the puppy. It's a great sign if she rolls over on her back. You don't want to see them looking each other hard in the eye, she should turn her head and not make eye contact with him.

I honestly don't think you'll have much problem, especially if you can get them away from mom and pups and the home territory.
I can't take them to a neutral place, sorry. I have taken my pup to the fence and the male wags his tale and whines a lot. That's good right? Also my pup has been in my house and she has been really good with my 3 chihuahuas. She wants to play with them but the chihuahuas snap at her lol.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WascoGSD View Post
I can't take them to a neutral place, sorry.
You can't take two dogs down the block or to a park? Really? That's kinda odd.

Quote:
I have taken my pup to the fence and the male wags his tale and whines a lot. That's good right?
Yes

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You can't take two dogs down the block or to a park? Really? That's kinda odd.

Yes
My male isnt trained to be off leash. I would have to take them to a gated area.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
My male isnt trained to be off leash. I would have to take them to a gated area.
Oh well, certainly it would need to be a fenced area. . . maybe a tennis court, friend's yard, dog park, or similar. I thought you meant it wasn't possible to take two dogs off your property at once.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh well, certainly it would need to be a fenced area. . . maybe a tennis court, friend's yard, dog park, or similar. I thought you meant it wasn't possible to take two dogs off your property at once.
Lol sorry about that. Thanks for the answers I really appreciate it. Last comment though, my female mom went up to the fence too but she didn't growl or act strangely. She seemed pretty cool. It's just a thought, but, does the mommy know that the pup is just a baby, thus not growling or barking at her?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Crowned Member

It's possible. . . I wouldn't risk it. Mama dogs tend to be protective of young babies with other dogs. Not to mention that if the pups are very young, you don't want your other dogs going out into the world and then coming back in to see the pups. Too much risk of bringing in disease that could kill them. At that age they have zero immune system and your dogs could track in the feces of an infected dog.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page