Kira frightened of all dogs, puppies too - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Kira frightened of all dogs, puppies too

Today, we started Kira on a second round of puppy beginner class. We just completed 5 weeks of puppy beginner, but since she's only just turned 4 months, I thought it would be a good idea to continue puppy until 6 months.

Today was the first class with different puppies. All the puppies were 4 months or younger.
In her class were everything from Pugs, Boxers, Rotties and Dobermans. Size wise, she was right there with the larger breed puppies.
Prior to the instruction, the puppies were allowed to socialize. They were all introduced on leash, but as soon as she was taken off leash, all the puppies frolicked, and Kira ran with her tail between her legs. SHe sought cover under chairs, ran through an open door into the bathroom, and ONLY attempted t play with the little pug. However, every time the pug went near the larger puppy, Kira backed off, and ran to hide. The trainer suggested we allow her to work herself through it, and not do anything.

A few weeks ago, Kira was pinned by an adult GSD in a dog park, even though we weren't attending the park, just walking through it on leash to access a different area. The dog was supposed to be leashed, but obviously wasn't.

Whats the best way to approach this fear?

Another note... If I'm waking with Kira, and she see another dog, her hackles are all raised, and she barks, with what appears to be aggressive, but obviously out of fear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:22 PM

Is there one dog you could get Kira with for some play? One puppy about her size that she could have a good experience with?
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

Poor baby. I'd keep her out of the puppy free-for-all for the time being. I don't agree with sensory "flooding" and letting a dog just work it out on their own. I would kinda start back with square one with socialization, maybe letting her meet with one mild-tempered, calm dog on leash and working from there. Always pushing up against her comfort zone but not terrifying her.

You might actually do better with a calm, adult dog instead of another pup who's going to jump all over her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
You might actually do better with a calm, adult dog instead of another pup who's going to jump all over her.
Thanks, you wrote what I meant if I'd have been thinking better!
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have not been fond of classes where the puppies all frolicked

Have you considered just not doing the puppy free for all and just letting her be neutral and get comfortable with the other puppies that way. Personally I would work with her at her comfort distance and no closer and slowly try to bring that in closer to the other dogs.

She is probably young enough to recover from the incident - any chance she could socialize with some really stable adult dogs? I think they are better teachers than other puppies.

----

Well we all cross posted and it seems like we are saying the same thing.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I'll try to answer all questions.

For starters, her "on leash" reaction is much different.

This afternoon, we were walking in a local park, and we came across a Bassethound. The dog was a 7 year old stable dog. Kira barked and growled, but the owner of the Bassethound insisted that I socialize, and approached with his dog.
Kira sniffed, and within seconds, was playing with this dog.
Another example, there's a white husky around the corner from home. Again.... On-leash, she's fine.
My wife could sit and talk to the owner,and Kira would just sit there as if the other dog wasn't there.

As far as frolicking in class..... Since the "incident", I've been keeping her out of puppy playtime, because the other dogs were all larger, and 2 months older. However, she's been OK with close contact with all the other dogs during the past 5 weeks, including a 6 month old 95lb GSD. She didn't give any indication that she would react the way she did tonight.

I felt so bad for her. She was so nervous.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Banned

my pup ran under a chair or table a lot
in puppy class. sometimes other dogs
would go under the chair and continue to play
with my pup. the instructor said let them
play under the chair for a minute and then
remove the dogs. we placed the dogs in the middle of the
floor and before long my pup was under a chair. it was a 6 week
class. by the 5th week my pup no longer ran under the chair.
during the week the people in the class got together
with their pups. we didn't wait untill Saturday for the pups to get together. i made sure my pup was around dogs, cats,
birds (household and flocks in the woods) and horses.
exposure is one of the keys on the ring.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 04:46 AM

Our 12 week old puppy got attacked today by a English Staffy. It was an unprovoked attack (Staffy wasn't restrained came running straight over and before I could pick my puppy up, was attacking her). She has broken skin on her back hind leg. Makes me so angry...as this was our week of positive puppy and friendly adult dog socialization. I hope no damage mentally has been done. I'm going to try and move on and get her around other friendly dogs ASAP.

Hope your girl gets over her fear.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 06:48 AM

if kira is 4 months right now be very careful about allowing kira to be frightened by any dogs because the 16th week is the fear imprinting cycle just ease her through the next few weeks gently any then slowly at a pace comfortable for her reintroduce play and socialization.good luck
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 08:03 AM

I tend to not like the puppy free for alls at classes either

Most have heard this story but i'll repeat...Took Masi to a puppy class when she was around Kira's age..There were not just puppies but little bit older dogs as well. Masi would gravitate towards the smaller dogs as well, probably because she had been with papillons (my sisters) on a daily basis was used to smaller dogs.

Anyhow, the free for alls for masi were NOT a good thing, she was rather bullied, and yes it kinda scared her..Trainer said the same thing "let em work it out",,so stupid me who should know better, attempted that,,it wasn't working.

During this 'class' the owners of a particular golden (larger puppy), was dog stupid, she'd let the dog "jump" Masi continuously, we'd move away, Masi would mind her own business but always seemed to be a 'target'..

I was NOT impressed with the lack of 'control' the trainer had over this class..By the time our 3rd class was over, I had to practically drag Masi in the building,,as well as, previously my once "I LOVE EVERYONE and was FINE with any dog/puppy",,was now becoming QUITE defensive towards ANY dog she didn't know..

I dropped the class,,started working on deprograming , but I'll tell you, to THIS day, Masi does NOT like golden retreivers AT ALL, and honestly is not good with strange dogs in her face...She will tolerate any dogs presence, but stare at her, charge her, zero in on her and all bets are off(

My suggestions, forget the free for all, get her around stable easy going dogs, like the bassett you ran into,,Don't let other dogs 'bully' her or scare the heck out of her( These dogs do NOT forget

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page