Post your Halloween socialization stories - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Post your Halloween socialization stories

Last night was a good one for Liesl's socialization project. We sat outside with lots of neighbors and had dinner and drinks and entertained trick-or-treaters. She was too excited and wild about her friend Sam being there (a calm 9yo Lab) so we had to stake Liesl out a few feet away. She eventually calmed down enough to sit and watch with interest all the goings-on. I frequently gave her attention and petting, and fed her dinner while she watched us. Teenage girls in our group were able to pet her freely. Neighborhood men were able to pet her almost instantly (she had to retreat then approach and smell them first) and from then on she allowed them to hold her face, pet her, and she would "shake hands" with them on command.

At one point a small boy about 2 y.o. ran across the lawn up to her. She calmly stayed where she was tethered and just looked at him with focus. He ran past her head and hugged her body and began petting her. She accepted this calmly, and I praised her. Another milestone in her progress with kids.

We went for a walk on the most crowded streets in our 'hood, full of t-o-ters and even a news crew with remote van. There were lots of distractions, costumes, decorations hanging from trees, etc. She was calm and relaxed throughout, although a little skittish when several young girls waving flashlights crowded her and tried to hug her all at once.

Overall her behavior made me very proud, and she got lots of compliments. And I found out she loves swedish meatballs.

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Knighted Member

I brought my dogs to see a particular house in the neighbourhood that decorates like crazy every year. They have spooky lights, music, and life-size "monsters" in the front yard. They allow people to check everything out so I brought my dogs only to be asked to leave because the dogs could "spook" and bite someone. I left but we still had a great time checking out all the trick-or-treaters along the way and the dogs were a big hit!

Jazz, Shiloh Shepherd, 5 yrs old, CGC HIC
Bunny, GSD X, 7.5 years old
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Knighted Member

Rocket wore his "Bad Dog" jail outfit. Yes, I kinda feel bad about dressing a GSD but he's not even quite 5 months, and it was FUNNY. :P

He did absolutely fabulous. Our old neighborhood has kids bused in--everyone decorates, plays music, has fog machines...TONS AND TONS of people and costumes. Even the adults dress up. He handled it all like it was old hat. Met costumed babies in strollers...adults, teens and small kids manhandled him and he wagged, licked and sat for all. I'm changing his costume to "GOOD DOG!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page