Hips/Elbows is THIS to much on 15 week joints? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

Hips/Elbows is THIS to much on 15 week joints?

In the morning I have taken to throwing balls with 15 week old Beau as I do with Cyra and Grim - each separately to take off the morning edge.

Right now he is averaging about 10 throws and they are about 100 feet long (chuckit) so he is running total (in the yard) about 2000 feet. He is still wanting the ball after this.

Then at lunch it is a 30-40 minute offlead walk in the wods and he is running to and fro for much of that. [i would do that in the morning but dawn - nah - critters and if there is a deer hunter (no evidence of any but we have deer) they are going to be out that time of day.

Then we do some scentwork during the day but that is not hard on his joints - working on building a tug reward system - anchoring down his source odors since he wants to run off with them.

Then we do about 5 throws at night and some obedience and tugging play with a flirt pole and with a puppy shamee and some with a puppy tug.

He is still wild and crazy with all this - does settle in his crate with a chew for about 1-2 hours at a time then the pent up energy drives him crazy. Still getting into everything if he is loose in the house though I plan on doing some more puppy proofing of my home office but calm is calm and his crate is next to my desk and I firmly believe that INSIDE the dogs must be calm and easy.

----------

I would do less with him if needed but not sure how to do it without puppy qualuudes. I can't ever remember having one with THIS much energy. I am buying some interactive puzzle toys for in my office but dont want him to associate his crate with anything but calm. He is not so into getting food out of a kong or toy that he will persist with it (though he has plenty of food drive for a reward)-he will however throw same toy around and chase it.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles

Last edited by NancyJ; 10-29-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:06 PM

Wow! That's a lot. Do you work from home? I feel bad that I can't do that much with my boy

I'm a complete novice, but it doesn't sound like it would be too much IMO.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Knighted Member

I do that much and sometimes more. Rocket just turned 19 weeks old. 10 days ago, we took him on a 7 mile mountain hike in Montana. We were prepared to carry him, LOL, if he got tired, but he was fine. Of course, the ground was super soft. But it was uphill on the way to the alpine lake, and he slept in the car for the 15 min drive back to camp. He really didn't appear that tired later tho, ha ha.

I walk him or hike him in the am, and also do something similar or have a puppy play session in the afternoon. Obedience mixed in all day long. I too throw the ball and his Flying Squirrel. When he breeder saw him last week, he remarked how muscular he's becoming, so I don't think it's too much.

Just watch him. And of course, don't let him jump down from stuff yet. I'm still lifting him in and out of our Suburban and he's 47lbs. Ooof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Zombie Queen Moderator

I do work from home. So my "breaks" are puppy breaks. It is pretty exhausing.

I got a ramp for the truck - so Beau uses that - though he did jump once from the tailgate and would do it again if I didnt steer him down it.

Really my main concern is about pounding on the joints. Beau has added a good bit of muscle since last week amazing how fast they change.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page