9 months on the 22nd and protection instincts are kicking in. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

9 months on the 22nd and protection instincts are kicking in.

Yesterday I took Stella for a walk. I noticed the mailman leaving my front walk after leaving a package by my door. He left my driveway before we got to the house.

We get up to the door and Stella was on "High Alert" big time. She must have just caught his recently left scent because she practically knocked me down to get in the house before me and went from room to room and would not calm down for a bit ...she was looking for an intruder. I was impressed. She turns 9 months next week and she is already super aware of her surroundings.

She is also now very alert for activity outside the doorway while in the house. She has begun to bark when people are on the front walk. I was worried she was not going to do that, but now it seems she is maturing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Banned

Nice when they 'do their job' instinctively.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
Nice when they 'do their job' instinctively.
Absolutely. I am so happy with the dog she is growing into. Sweet but aloof, protective but not fearful.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

brevity due to time limitations -- it is not protection. People passing by minding their own business in a public space are not a threat. This is more prey excitement , dog thinking it is making the go away . Same as the post man's syndrome. Post man comes , dog barks behind door or glass , post man goes away - because that is his route and has nothing to do with the dog barking . Dog feels empowered. Problem is these are not threats , and it can develop into a very annoying habit and build frustration so that one day the dog may get out and chase.

Carmen
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
brevity due to time limitations -- it is not protection. People passing by minding their own business in a public space are not a threat. This is more prey excitement , dog thinking it is making the go away . Same as the post man's syndrome. Post man comes , dog barks behind door or glass , post man goes away - because that is his route and has nothing to do with the dog barking . Dog feels empowered. Problem is these are not threats , and it can develop into a very annoying habit and build frustration so that one day the dog may get out and chase.

Carmen
The postman left the house while we were walking. He left his scent. She went in the house looking for the source of the scent by going room to room.

The front walk I am speaking of is to my doorway, not the sidewalk .

I do understand what you are saying about barking to go away, but this is a bit different. It is an alert that someone is at the door. She does have a good prey drive. I took her for her first Shutzhund meeting the other day and the guy was impressed that she went right after the tug, but he wants to build her into it slowly. They also liked her disposition that she was even tempered with new folk and was not acting fearful.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix

Last edited by Stella's Mom; 10-19-2011 at 11:05 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:

Carmen
You are one of the breeders that I have added to my list to seriously consider to purchase another pup from in about 18 months.

[COLOR="Purple"]Michelle
Mom to
Stella ~ GSD
Figgy ~ Tuxedo Cat
CoCo ~ Tabby Cat

RIP

Rio, GSD
SheRah, GSD Mix
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:

Carmen
What does it mean if a dog barks when someone comes to the house and/or rings the doorbell and/or knocks on the door?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyD View Post
What does it mean if a dog barks when someone comes to the house and/or rings the doorbell and/or knocks on the door?
To me, that isn't true protection because the very very *best* dogs about alerting to someone at the door, someone on the property, are very nervy dogs. Solid dogs bark at the mailman too of course, but barking at strangers at the door/on the property is really one of the signatures of a shy, nervy dog. Therefore, just because a dog barks at strangers I don't call it protection. More of an alert.

To me, real protection is few and far between because it is a real defense of a real threat. Thankfully most people don't have real threats very often, so we don't get to see it much outside of protection sports.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page