Is this fear aggression - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Is this fear aggression

My guy does not seem to like most males. He is ok around males he knows (all of my male neighbors, my Dad and obviously me). However, whenever he is at daycare, and the lady's husband comes in, he backs into a corner and starts barking and growling. I was told the hair on his back stands up as well. I have never been there to witness this, but I have seen him bark or growl at males during our walks. I'm assuming this is fear aggression?

He is barely 11 months old, is this something he may grow out of, if I keep socializing him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Crowned Member

it does sound like it is fear aggression. The thing about this situation is, you have a relatively large dog who is barking and intimidating so in order to socialize him properly and get him past this, you'd have to find several men who are okay being used as test dummies so to speak. I would suggest getting involved with a private trainer who has knowledge about GSDs (and likes them) that can work with you on this. They can observe and offer suggestions as to how to handle the situations as well as see how YOU handle the situations. It could also be possible its time to pull him from daycare but that would be between you and the daycare. He could very well be intimidated and feel threatened by this one guy.

Perhaps with the guy he reacts this way too, it would be beneficial to schedule a sit down with the wife and husband and ask them to work with you on getting your guy okay with the husband. This is also where a trainer would benefit in helping.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Crowned Member

It does sound like fear aggression. My friend handled this by handing her dogs off to men (but these dogs are Sheltie's so maybe don't try this at home!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 AM

IMHO, take your pup out of that daycare. People who operate a business caring for dogs should never have let the pup develop a fear of one of their employees. Get the dog into an obedience class. Talk to the trainer about you dog's problem. Don't let this behavior go on or it will become habitual.

You could try enrolling in another daycare. The owners are usually either trainers or at least are knowledgeable enough to work with dogs who are exhibiting socialization problems. Call several local daycares and explain your problem. Ask if they can help you.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnie View Post
IMHO, take your pup out of that daycare. People who operate a business caring for dogs should never have let the pup develop a fear of one of their employees.
That was my thought. Is it just this ONE man? That would have me concerned.

- Berleen -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:14 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrudderman24 View Post
..............However, whenever he is at daycare, and the lady's husband comes in, he backs into a corner and starts barking and growling. I was told the hair on his back stands up as well. I have never been there to witness this, but I have seen him bark or growl at males during our walks. I'm assuming this is fear aggression?

He is barely 11 months old, is this something he may grow out of, if I keep socializing him?
I'd be worried too...

Think I'd be ONLY going out with a ziplock full of REAL treats and a hungry dog. Start by ME feeding the treats when he see's a new guy get near (BEFORE the growling starts) and then start asking 100% of the males we can ask to feed him the treats. Not petting or staring so much at your dog but coming in low with a palm containing a treat(s).

If you bothered to train with the clicker (and why NOT???? ) this would also be a huge help!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

I missed the walk part. Ooops. I'd still be worried about the fear towards someone he SHOULD be familiar with.

- Berleen -

Knuckles - born 8/21/11 - my big knucklehead
and can't forget Saki; the Golden Retriever, Born 11/07/07
The felines that rule the house - Oliver, Serena, Sakura & Bastian.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Crowned Member

Fiesty Fido might be a good book for you. The Other End of The Leash helped me understand what was going on with Jax. I would recommend that book as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page