This is "almost" a problem - Bailey loves dogs, loves dogs, LOVES dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

This is "almost" a problem - Bailey loves dogs, loves dogs, LOVES dogs

As my title states, Bailey is in love with dogs. All dogs. Any dog. Any shape, any breed, any size. He wants to play with them all. He doesn't care if they like him back. If they aren't receptive, he will try for a minute more and walk away, as though, DANG! I wanted to be your friend and boohoo, you won't be mine.

He can hardly focus at class because he wants to PLAY with all the dogs.

At the dog park (I know many don't like dog parks - I swear I'm careful, I'm always right there, and if there's *any* issue, we leave) he wants to personally great *every single dog.*

I'm thinking this is only a good thing? I don't think dog to dog aggression will ever be in our lives at the rate we're going. Is there any negative to this, other than we have trouble at class getting him to focus on what we're doing? (I'm going to not feed him supper before class from now on so he'll be hungry and more interested in the treats.)

Seriously, is there a down side to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 PM

Well, I can tell you that Dax is the same way. Dogs and cats are the absolute most wonderful things in the world to him. The only downsides we have experienced are:

1. Being overly friendly with a not so friendly dog (he's nearly gotten bit a few times)
2. Total lack of focus and recall (he's 16 months and we are still working really hard on this, but it is really tough).

Other than that, I don't think its too bad. I would much rather have a friendly dog that I need to work on the recall with than an aggressive one!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle View Post
(I'm going to not feed him supper before class from now on so he'll be hungry and more interested in the treats.)

Seriously, is there a down side to this?
I hope you have better luck with this than we did. I could literally starve Dax for 2 days and he couldn't care less about food with other dogs around. All the other dogs in class were leaping all over me for the meat I brought, except Dax, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey19 View Post
I hope you have better luck with this than we did. I could literally starve Dax for 2 days and he couldn't care less about food with other dogs around. All the other dogs in class were leaping all over me for the meat I brought, except Dax, lol.
Same here. Sasha cares not one bit about food if other dogs are around. Unlike Bailey she does not care if they want to be her friend or not. She wants to be their friend, and gosh darn it if she pesters them enough she's sure they'll see things her way. The downside, like you say, is there have been a few close calls with almost getting bit. She really doesn't understand why a little 10lb dog may not want to be friends with someone who could fit their head in her mouth.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

I don't see a downside as long as you keep working on his focus, so when it's time to train he's not gagging himself trying to go play with other dogs. (he's young, just keep working on it)
Harley is used as a neutral dog to help people with dogs that are aggressive toward other dogs. I've seen some pretty sad cases so honestly, be thankful you've got Mr. Congeniality, it's a good thing!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey19 View Post
I hope you have better luck with this than we did...
Fingers crossed! I sure wish the training room was bigger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieShepherdGirl View Post
... and gosh darn it if she pesters them enough she's sure they'll see things her way. The downside, like you say, is there have been a few close calls with almost getting bit. She really doesn't understand why a little 10lb dog may not want to be friends with someone who could fit their head in her mouth.
Haha, that's funny, but geesh why wouldn't they want to be her friend? What's wrong with them? It does worry me that he'll eventually find the one who won't appreciate his attempted friendship and bites. Hasn't happened yet and hope it never does. So far, he doesn't press the issue too much; if they yip or low growl or send the signals, he sulks off pretty quick. Only after trying another time or two, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I don't see a downside as long as you keep working on his focus, so when it's time to train he's not gagging himself trying to go play with other dogs. (he's young, just keep working on it) Harley is used as a neutral dog to help people with dogs that are aggressive toward other dogs. I've seen some pretty sad cases so honestly, be thankful you've got Mr. Congeniality, it's a good thing!
I call him my social butterfly. Wish he liked kids as much as other dogs, sigh. He's getting much, much better with people though, thankfully. The socialization is paying off. Yes, we will keep working on it... it is frustrating at times to do the work at home and he is so good, then we go there and we look like a couple of dunces.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Knighted Member

Zira is the same way with ALL animals. And I have to agree with Sharkey19, the only downsides I have experienced are lack of focus (recall still needs lots of work), and trying to be friendly with those that don't want to be around her. She loves everyone... even those that can't stand her. This has gotten her in trouble a few times, but she never seems to care or change in anyway from those situations. It's just who she is. Not a fault, or anything bad IMO...

This just makes me a very cautious owner when I go to a park, or when around a lot of dogs. I always scan the area and the dogs there.... If I see a dog that is not very social, trying to stay by themselves, or showing some aggression, or overly dominant... I leave, or find another area. I try to keep her in groups that are "light and fluffy" (dogs like her... submissive, playful, good natured).

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Crowned Member

Ozzy's the same way.... In our flyball class, the dogs don't get to meet and greet because they're supposed to be working and be focused. He's totally fine when he's doing his box work or jumping, or is doing something. When he has to be in his kennel or with me on the end of the leash, he sounds like he's going to die because he can't go say hi to all of the dogs.

I've been taking him to Petsmart and Petco and work with him outside to get him to at least be a bit more passive with other dogs. So far he's doing pretty good.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyShepherd View Post
Zira is the same way with ALL animals. And I have to agree with Sharkey19, the only downsides I have experienced are lack of focus (recall still needs lots of work), and trying to be friendly with those that don't want to be around her. She loves everyone... even those that can't stand her. This has gotten her in trouble a few times, but she never seems to care or change in anyway from those situations. It's just who she is. Not a fault, or anything bad IMO...

This just makes me a very cautious owner when I go to a park, or when around a lot of dogs. I always scan the area and the dogs there.... If I see a dog that is not very social, trying to stay by themselves, or showing some aggression, or overly dominant... I leave, or find another area. I try to keep her in groups that are "light and fluffy" (dogs like her... submissive, playful, good natured).
Dooney is the same- could care less if I was dangling a nice big fat Ribeye in her face if another dog is around- Obedience class put the FU in FUN- LOL.

She is getting better though and I find the work we have been doing at the dog park seems to be helping the most- We work on the outside for a bit, then we work inside away from the bulk of the dogs, and only when I get her focus and get a few solid minutes of it do I let her off to go play for a few minutes- we spend more time training than we do playing.

After having a dog agressive WGSD before- i will take an overly friendly dog any day of the week!

Wendy
Dooney Von Pell- GSD 01/25/2011
Karma's Wycked Revenge- GSD 05/16/2012
Skye- WGSD 1991-2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooney's Mom View Post
Dooney is the same- could care less if I was dangling a nice big fat Ribeye in her face if another dog is around- Obedience class put the FU in FUN- LOL.

She is getting better though and I find the work we have been doing at the dog park seems to be helping the most- We work on the outside for a bit, then we work inside away from the bulk of the dogs, and only when I get her focus and get a few solid minutes of it do I let her off to go play for a few minutes- we spend more time training than we do playing.

After having a dog agressive WGSD before- i will take an overly friendly dog any day of the week!
I agree..... I would much rather deal with a dog that is overly happy about everything and trying to play with everyone, then a dog that is ready to kill everything that passes by. I don't consider it a problem, I actually appreciate her eagerness to be so friendly to everyone!

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page