Will my dog stay this way? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Will my dog stay this way?

I have a pup that is almost 6 months. She is great. She loves everyone she meets man women child old young. It dose not matter she loves everyone. She greets everyone now with a sit she has good manners that did not take long to train.

She loves meeting new dogs. She has great manner going up to them in a friendly way sniffing and then I can call her off. She is great. There are a few times when she will react to dogs. Like if with the pack. I have 2 other dogs one of them can be a little yappy jerk. If he goes off she will too. The other time is if she is behind the fence but this seems to also be brought on by the little dog. I have been taking cookie the pup on walks alone to work on traing that socializing.

So my question is if I keep socializing her and training she should stay this great right? I honestly have never raised a pup of my own. I have always had older dogs with problems I have had to fix. I have raised foster pups for a month or 2. Now I want too keep my pup from picking up any bad habits.

I also am doing positive reinforcement training only and lots of it. She is picking things up so fast. I know how to train a dog just never had my own puppy and so far she is almost perfect. I just hope she stays this way.

Any tips to keeping my dog on the right track? If I just keep doing what I'm doing will she stay this way? I have had so much dog experience. Just never had a pup of my own. I feel silly asking this.

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue

Last edited by Pepper311; 09-20-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

I think when she matures(especially females) she will become more serious and "on". Which is fine/but you do need to be a strong leader and manage her so she isn't taking control of situations.
When she matures, she will be able to decipher what is worthy of reacting to and what is ok to be neutral with.
GSD's are not social butterflies, so will naturally carry some aloof personality.

From your description she is a higher threshold and that is genetic so will be in her character thru life. Keep on keepin on!
Just be 'on guard' a bit yourself and don't set her up to fail or put her in situations that will possibly overwhelm her as she goes thru maturity stages(heat cycles may change her personality temporarily, so don't be alarmed
Your signature says she has no name, obviously it is now puppy???

Last edited by onyx'girl; 09-20-2011 at 10:13 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Ava

All dogs are different. Most will not have the exact personality at 2 years as they did at 6 months - they grow up. All you can do is support the behavior you want and avoid things that could take her backwards. If your pup is feeding off negative vibes from your other dog, I would not take them out together any where and keep them seperated if there's a risk of the other dog showing reactive behavior.

I see she's a mix, do you know what with? That would help understand how temperament could end up.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pedigree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thanks guys. She looks to be mostly gsd with maybe Husky. It's hard to tell.

I have been taking her out alone not with the others. When they are in the yard I will make sure the little naughty dog is not with her unless I am there.

Yes I think making sure I don't set her up to fail is key.

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Crowned Member

If she's GSD and Husky, she will probably become more aloof as she gets older, with both humans and dogs. Not to say she'll become fearful or aggressive; just that she'll be less likely to seek attention and affection from strange humans and less likely to try to play with strange dogs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page