is this normal growth or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Question is this normal growth or not?

On Aug. 22nd (2011 of course.lol) this is what Kiva measured at for height:21" length:25" weight:35lbs.

Now fast forward to today's measurements, height:24" length:28 weight:40lbs

Is this normal? I will admit that I am a worry wart.lol so I'm sorry if this kind of question has been asked before...I really am not trying to be annoying.. Kiva gets fed Purina Puppy Chow and following Vet's instructions her bowl is kept full. I have heard from a few people now that their vets had told them to take their GSD off of puppy chow/food at 6 months to try and avoid them having problems later on in life with hip displaysia(sp?). They suggested I do the same but I won't do anything until after consulting/speaking with my vet..I am curious and would like to know what you all think..

ETA:I did notice that a few weeks ago that she slimmed down quite a bit and started eating like she was starved..Now she looks more filled out and she isn't eating as ravenously as before(appetite went back to normal)...So am I correct in thinking that she had went through a growth spurt?

~Brianna~
Proud mom to:
♥Kiva-3yr old female black&tan GSD♥
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

♥Felony Hit-N-Run a.k.a "Felon"- 5 month old male GSD♥
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:25 AM
Crowned Member

It's hard to say. You know how, if you look at a school classroom in grades 4-9, you get a really big variety in kids' sizes? My mom teaches 5th grade and she has some kids that are 5'5 and some kids that are under 5' tall. It's the same with dogs. They just mature at such different rates and have their growth spurts at different times, it's really hard to say what's "normal."

Kopper will have some times where he doesn't grow much at all, and then other times I swear I can see him grow form day to day. During those growing times, he eats a lot more and sleeps a lot more.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
It's hard to say. You know how, if you look at a school classroom in grades 4-9, you get a really big variety in kids' sizes? My mom teaches 5th grade and she has some kids that are 5'5 and some kids that are under 5' tall. It's the same with dogs. They just mature at such different rates and have their growth spurts at different times, it's really hard to say what's "normal."

Kopper will have some times where he doesn't grow much at all, and then other times I swear I can see him grow form day to day. During those growing times, he eats a lot more and sleeps a lot more.
That makes total sense to me cuz it hits close to home..My 7yr old is off the charts for his height and is as tall as some 3rd and even a few 4th graders(he is in 1st grade).lol I guess what it is,is I'm worried about her growing too fast and having issues because of it. I figure I will probably catch some flack for the type/brand of food she is on..My vet recommended it when Kenai was a pup and again when we got Kiva. I went along with what he said but am open to other food suggestions within a reasonable price/budget. When do they stop growing or their growth slows down?

~Brianna~
Proud mom to:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Crowned Member

Check the calcium and phospherus levels of what you're feeding. I want to see less than 1.2% each for nice, slow growth. I know Puppy Chow isn't specifically for large breed puppies, so it may be too high in calcium.

That said, I never fed Kopper a puppy formula. He's eaten adult kibble since day one. There's really no difference between large breed puppy food and adult food.

Most GSDs are within an inch or two of their adult height by the time they hit 9 months old. Usually they're at their adult height, or very close, by a year. I know the males continue to fill out in the chest/shoulders area (looking more masculine) until about 3 years but I've never owned a female so I'm not sure about them.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 AM
Ava

They all grow at different paces and have their growth spurts. Most people stay away from regular puppy food for GSDs and go with large breed puppy or adult as mentioned. Too much calcium. 40 lbs seems like a low weight for a 24" dog though.

Steve

Pedigree
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Elite Member

I'm surprised your vet recommended free-choice feeding. Most research has indicated that free-choice feeding is not a good idea for the health of a growing dog's joints.

Christine

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Well now I feel like an idiot for not paying better attention to my dogs food. Is there a brand that you would recommend? My aunt feeds Natural Balance and suggested that, but I would like to hear more suggestions...You can't see her ribs but can feel them and from above looking down at her you can see that she has a "waist line/waist". My vet suggested free choice feeding because of how she would still be really hungry after eating what I had given her(she did not have worms either). She wouldn't eat a full bowl at one time though and would eat some when she would walk past her bowl.

~Brianna~
Proud mom to:

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

just took these..

Here are two pics of Kiva that I just took..Do you think she looks alright?

Top view:

Side view:

~Brianna~
Proud mom to:

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirlup_22 View Post
Well now I feel like an idiot for not paying better attention to my dogs food. Is there a brand that you would recommend?
Not really sure what's available in your area. Stuff like Wellness, Innova, and Solid Gold are available everywhere.

What's your budget though?

- 6 years

At the Bridge:

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Emoore:The closest place that has anything really good would be Tractor Supply.Unfortunately the town I live in is located in an area where its a drive just to go to a decent store. *sigh* I was reading through their website and thought about trying this food Diamond Naturals Large Breed 60+ lb. Adult Dog Formula Dog Food, 40 lb. - 5165619 | Tractor Supply Company For a 40lbs bag its $30 which is around what we had figured on spending.

~Brianna~
Proud mom to:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page