Puppy is to nice to strangers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Puppy is to nice to strangers?

My pup seems way to friendly to strangers. He is 13 weeks old now and wants to meet and play with everyone we walk by on a walk. Generally, we strive to socialize pups with all walks of life, but I really don't want a GSD who will think everyone is a friend when he is older.

Example, if my girlfriend is out on a walk with him when he is older and gets attacked, will he know that this isn't a friend of ours? Would he want to play with the attacker?

Sounds crazy, but we all do not want a dog that is not socialized and runs around biting people, but I really do not want a dog that things eveyone is a friend...

Anyway to correct this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
Master Member

IMO do not "correct" this. Puppies are generally friendly, period. Be thankful your dog isn't nervous or shy. As it matures it will become more aloof. In the meantime, its fantastic temperament should allow it to socialize easily and gain confidence quickly, which a lot of GSD owners really have to work for. What you have is a blessing, not a curse.

Liesl, b. 1/1/11
Maxie, 1994-2009
King, 1963-1968
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iannotti View Post
Anyway to correct this?
NO. At 13 weeks, your puppy is a BABY, you want him to be a social butterfly. The more exposure he has to normal, everyday people, the more he will learn what is normal interaction and what is not. That distinction will allow to him act appropriately in situations when he is much, much older. Of course there's no way to know how he would really act if your girlfriend got attacked.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

Do not try to correct this!!! If you correct this kind of interaction you will get a dog that will bite everyone that walks by you! Socialize, socialize, socialize, you have a 13 week old puppy not a 2 year old GSD. Some dogs end up being protective, others don't, but you would much rather have a dog that is friends with everyone then one who thinks everyone is dangerous!

You have no way of knowing right now if your dog will be protective or not, the only way to guarantee it is to train him when he gets older, but at this point you have to socialize him as much as possible so he learns that there are friendly people. Step one is learning what a friendly hello looks like, step two will be (if you train him) figuring out what danger is.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Crowned Member

Puppies are BABIES!!!! A stable social well bred dog should mature into a dog who - ESPECIALLY if well socialized - understands the difference between a friendly/neutral interaction and a threat!!! You do NOT want an overly suspicious, fear motivated dog!! Seriously - the better social nerves the dog has, the more likely he is to be able to discern a negative social interaction!

Let him be a baby now and work on his social and environmental stability.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:36 PM
Knighted Member

Iannottti:

Count your blessings.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 04:54 PM

It's good to have a friendly puppy.

The misery of keeping a dog is his dying so soon. But, to be sure, if he lived for fifty years and then died, what would become of me? - Sir Walter Scott
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Crowned Member

Hopefully you dont just give away this one like you did the last one about a year ago.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 05:40 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Please read up on what a normal puppy should be. If you are confused about a normal happy puppy greeting people, you'll probably need help with alot of other issues in the next year.

A HAPPY puppy makes a confident ADULT. That's what we all want. Be like saying 'my puppy likes to eat, how can I correct that?'. Or 'my puppy loves to play with toys, how can I correct that?'.

Schutzhund-Training.com - Puppy Tips

Puppy Development Stages and Puppy Growth - Canine Behavior and Training

Understanding Puppy

Von Falconer K-9 Training - Articles / Puppiest 1st Night to 1st Year

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 PM

As everyone has stated below..PLEASE do not attempt to correct this. My puppy loves everyone and everything right now...sept squirrels and birds lol. He plays with all people, cats, dogs, anything.

We play on doing protection work with him but our puppy...likes yours...needs to be socialized and exposed to EVERYTHING. He has walked by moving trains...been around fireworks...around every age size color and shape of human and dog. I want him to know that these are okay...and when a person comes up to us with a knife and angry expression...he will know that that is NOT normal and protect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page