Young Pup Older Dogs (Elsa) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Young Pup Older Dogs (Elsa)

This is more of a non-dog-park question, but what is the best way to introduce our new pup to dogs she'll be around for the next several years? She's 11 weeks old, and we took her to my mom's house to meet the other dogs, and it scares me to death. Mom's got two Rottweilers and a half-sharpei, half GSD. One rott is too old to give a hoot, but the other growled at Elsa the other day. I'm afraid to just let her down on the ground and let them explore each other. The mutt is the other one I'm worried about. He just wants to play, but he's really big and I think he might hurt her.

So we've just been taking her over there to get them used to the smell. I have a large travel kennel we can put her in and get the other dogs over and "meet through the fence" kind of thing...

Not sure what to do. Can't bring myself just to put her down and let them go at it. Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 02:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa's Mommy View Post
This is more of a non-dog-park question, but what is the best way to introduce our new pup to dogs she'll be around for the next several years? She's 11 weeks old, and we took her to my mom's house to meet the other dogs, and it scares me to death. Mom's got two Rottweilers and a half-sharpei, half GSD. One rott is too old to give a hoot, but the other growled at Elsa the other day. I'm afraid to just let her down on the ground and let them explore each other. The mutt is the other one I'm worried about. He just wants to play, but he's really big and I think he might hurt her.

So we've just been taking her over there to get them used to the smell. I have a large travel kennel we can put her in and get the other dogs over and "meet through the fence" kind of thing...

Not sure what to do. Can't bring myself just to put her down and let them go at it. Help!
I'd start a new thread about his issue. But understand the dogs feel YOUR tension. You said you were scared to death, so you're likely putting out a whole lotta vibes. Most adults deal with pups, recognize them as pups and allow some leeway, but that depends on how well balanced they are?

Why did the one growl? Was the pup in his space? Was pup doing anything at all?

Again, I'd start a thread about this. Doesn't really apply to OP's thread.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsa's Mommy View Post

The big dogs are giving you warnings. Keeping her crated is the best and safest thing. There is no way in the underworld that I would let a pup "socialize" with a Rottie who growled at her and another large dog!!!

Regular visits where the pup is crated in their environment may be in order for a long time, and on lead meetings the next step,then a fenced area to separate them is next...if they are aggressive, you will have protected your pup....

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page