Training a working puppy in a household with other dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Training a working puppy in a household with other dogs

I have a 10 week old working line GSD pup. I also have a 6 year old rescue GSD. I am going to be doing protection work, and possibly schutzhund with the puppy, but there are a lot of things I have read that say keep the puppy separated from other dogs so that the pup is only interested in you. It is very unrealistic for me to separate them all the time. Right now, I am letting them play in the evening only, and during the day I work with the pup and my other dog separately. This seems to be going fine, and I also walk them separately. The pup does not seem to follow my other dog around too much, will follow me. Is this ok? Any feedback from people who have experience with training a working puppy in a household with other dogs would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 11:58 PM

We were doing Sch then switched to personal protection with ours and have 3 other dogs in the house. No trainer ever said anything to us about separation. It's working just fine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback...I didn't think it would make a negative impact, but didn't want to be making any mistakes either. I always thought that positive dog interaction was important, and so I hope that will make this pup well balanced. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Master Member

Ive heard that as well. If you have a drivey puppy that enjoys being trained, you shouldn't have an issue at all. My pup is doing just fine, and works her little butt off after being at daycare for 8 hours a day! My lab and her are best buds, and she still trains for me like Im her one and only

www.rescuedrover.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Master Member

before my pup was 5 months i would put my other dog out of the room. at around 5-6 months i started doing everything with my other dog around-it's a good distraction for them

Samson Vom Gieske GSD 12/2010
Snickers-GSD Mix Rescue 06/2004

::MILLIONS AGAINST MONSANTO::

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 01:00 AM

This is exactly what my husband was asking me today. He wants a working GSD, and our friends are selling his sister and were going to buy her.

I was thinking the same! I'm very glad that you posted it, cause he was really worried on getting her because of what online said.

Then we asked our trainer and he said it would be "fine, and give that dog a good home"

Jäger Vom Haus Malone /GSD/Bi-Color/M/5-17-2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page