Progress!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Progress!!

K, so I have been having issues for the past few weeks socializing my [about]5mo puppy.

Today, she started out the worst I have seen her. She wouldn't even take food. I live very close to my vets office, which is where I wanted to take her today.

She chilled out, then had a period by the traffic where she was NOT a happy camper, and then we just hung out until she relaxed.

When we got to the vets, she was still scared, so I just let her check everything out. Then...another dog appeared. A puppy. We have been having issues with her freaking out about other dogs. Seeing this dog was a puppy, I knew this would be a pretty good oppurtunity. I talked to the owner and we let our pups meet.

Let me tell you, this did wonders. She happily greeted the puppy, and ever since she did, she was confident the rest of the time. She was walking around, not slinking. Her tail was up above her back and wagging, not flipping between low and tucked. It carried over on the walk back.

She tried jumping in the bushes instead of cautiously smelling them. She sat and watched a big scary truck instead of running/spooking. It was cool.

We need to go meet more dogs now

PS: Would it help her if I walked her with one of my steady older boys when we go do something new and scary? Can she learn from one of them how to react? Or do I need to focus all attention on her? I know pairing a green horse with an older one whos seen it all really helps horses out, but they are quite different after all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Knighted Member

I would think its a good idea if the older dog is well behaved.
When I first got my pup I used to take her out with my 2 older dogs on the trails all the time. Then I started taking each dog out on the streets individually all summer long and just about a month ago I started taking all 3 together again. I really think they all enjoy our group walk. I try to change up my routine so no one gets bored.
Before I retired my old Quarter horse I used to pony the TB out on the trails, he was much better that way then by himself. I also noticed he was better when I took the dogs out with him too.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page