Puppies separated too young - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Puppies separated too young

Academic paper on behavioral challenges when dogs removed from litters too young - KC DOG BLOG

I don't know if this has been posted yet, if not, great info to have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD
Someone else posted it (but another link) somewhere else on here.

My opinion is that this is a poorly done study. What socialization, exercise and training are each puppy getting? These were also random breeds and sizes of dogs. So you can't compare the ease of potty training a German Shepherd to a breed that is notoriously hard to train because of their small bladders, such as an Italian Greyhound.

Zoey we got at 5 weeks old and Eevee at 6 weeks. Neither of my dogs have any of these issues. But they've also been TRAINED and SOCIALIZED. And yes, I'm a firm believer that exercise (which my dogs also get) plays a HUGE part in a dogs behavior.

Now, I'm not saying that there can't be problems from being removed early (ie. bite inhibition issues) but if you don't put time and energy into your dog, that $3000 puppy from the most reputable breeder isn't going to be better off than the $350 pet store puppy.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

Yeah, sadly any study about dogs is just not controlled enough to figure out the direct cause of certain problems. Its like the studies done on bloat and hd, there are just too many factors in each dogs life to for sure say that this caused that. As much as I believe puppies should stay with the litter as long as possible there are just too many other factors to pin some behaviors on the time spent with the litter. A true test of this theory would be...taking 100 puppies from the same breeding pair (over multiple breedings) and then removing some of them at different times. You'd have to give them to the same exact owner and they would all have to be trained the same exact way. Any differences in personality when grown could then be attributed to the time spent with the litter and of course a little to the fact that each dog is a little different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM

i would say the play biting is a definite.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Lack of bite inhibition is almost universal in dogs taken too young.
Also we see some very socially inept dogs who end up needing to be only dogs because they never learned proper interaction with other dogs. I can only presume they were taken too young.
Many people in our area think it's okay to give them away or sell at 4 weeks "since they are eating on their own".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page