Unbelievable - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Unbelievable

So I was walking my pup today he's 16 weeks old and near the end of the walk 3 little kids, I'm talking a 5 year old and oldest being around 8, walking a big full grown Rottweiler by themselves no parents or grown ups around, just them. So this Rotti is on the other side of the street sees my pup and charges at us dragging the little girl with him I had to block the dog from getting to my pup and I had a bit of a stand off with the thing but it backed off thank god cause trying to block this Rotti and having my pup trying to run and kids freaking out over their dog was crazy enough.

If something like this happens again what should I do to not hurt his development to not become dog aggressive or build up a fear?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah the one walking the dog was about 5 years old!!! who would let a 5 year old girl walk a full grown aggressive Rotti by themselves without a parent or grown up with them...
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Call animal control. The parents of those children need to be told what happened, and NOT by a five or eight year old.

I think you did right. You protected your dog and backed the other dog off. Not much else you can do, save carry a spray bottle of something, lemon juice, citronella.

I think that was a pretty extreme situation, but if no one does anything you might see the same kids with the dog again.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Call animal control. The parents of those children need to be told what happened, and NOT by a five or eight year old.

I think you did right. You protected your dog and backed the other dog off. Not much else you can do, save carry a spray bottle of something, lemon juice, citronella.

I think that was a pretty extreme situation, but if no one does anything you might see the same kids with the dog again.
Yeah I know they live near me as I've seen them before, so I'll be keeping my eye out cause that's just wrong letting little kids walk an aggressive dog like that without any supervision, they can't control a dog that big and powerful.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Crowned Member

thanks that nothing worse happened . what a scare . what if it was not you with a young dog , what if it was someone with a lunging dog who responds to the aggressive Rott . Then we have a poor kid in the middle of it being mauled as part of collateral damage.

Just keep taking your dog out and be normal . If you start being sensitive or anxious the dog will pick up on it.

Definitely animal control needs to be called .

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 07:19 PM

you did the right thing , you protected your dog/pup.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

I dont agree with allowing kids to handle a powerful dog that size without an adult with them. No way no how. But i have to ask. You saying the rotti just dragged the kids towards you and your pup. What exactly was the rott's behavior like? Was he barking and growling aggressively or did he just seem overly excited to see the pup? I ask because i've seen aggressive rottweilers before and if he wanted to actually get at your pup to cause injury, there's no chance he would have backed down. I know this from experience with my biological father's rottweiler. Whiskey was a sweet dog but he needed a VERY firm hand and would go nuts barking and growling in an aggressive manner if he thought he had a chance at getting at another dog besides his buddy Layla. Most of the time, my experience has been rottweilers want to play. I carry a walking stick just in case most of the time because I run into a lot of huskies who have escaped their yards around here, but havent had to use it yet.

I ask because, IMO, you left out important information about the behavior going on. Again, i dont agree with kids walking a large power dog that size without adult supervision to snatch that leash up and retrain the dog but without knowing how the rott was acting, we can only assume. He was either aggressive or excited to meet another dog.

Good job on protecting your pup.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 PM

If I see a situation like this I turn around and walk away the moment I see it. If I feel like I need to 'do something' I can take my dog home, and then walk back and ask the kids where their parents are. Way too many parents don't seem to realize that a dog is not a child's play thing, but an actual living creature. In this case, it sounds like the dog could easily hurt the kids (even by dragging them down the street or into the road!) or get into serious trouble.

To me, walking towards someone who has an out of control dog is not worth the possible danger to me or my dog.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
I dont agree with allowing kids to handle a powerful dog that size without an adult with them. No way no how. But i have to ask. You saying the rotti just dragged the kids towards you and your pup. What exactly was the rott's behavior like? Was he barking and growling aggressively or did he just seem overly excited to see the pup? I ask because i've seen aggressive rottweilers before and if he wanted to actually get at your pup to cause injury, there's no chance he would have backed down. I know this from experience with my biological father's rottweiler. Whiskey was a sweet dog but he needed a VERY firm hand and would go nuts barking and growling in an aggressive manner if he thought he had a chance at getting at another dog besides his buddy Layla. Most of the time, my experience has been rottweilers want to play. I carry a walking stick just in case most of the time because I run into a lot of huskies who have escaped their yards around here, but havent had to use it yet.

I ask because, IMO, you left out important information about the behavior going on. Again, i dont agree with kids walking a large power dog that size without adult supervision to snatch that leash up and retrain the dog but without knowing how the rott was acting, we can only assume. He was either aggressive or excited to meet another dog.

Good job on protecting your pup.
My last dog was a Doberman and I had dog aggression issues with him, I was able to work with a trainer and get it smoothed out. After working with aggression with my last dog I can tell the difference and this dog wasn't coming over to say, "Hi". He was coming over in aggressive manner with a lot of deep growling and focusing on the pup and not much with me until I got in the way and stood my grown with it by stopped moving backwards, this was when the dog started growling at me when we had a bit of a stand off then it backed down and the kids were able to get the dog to walk with them.
I thought I was going to have to fight this thing, thank god I didn't have to and like what carmspark said if this was full grown dog that would of shown aggression back, I know my last dog would engage, the little girl could be in a lot of trouble being in the mixed of two big powerful breeds fighting. I hope to see the owners soon as I've seen that dog walk by my house a lot, almost daily, I live in a pretty small town.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_bob View Post
My last dog was a Doberman and I had dog aggression issues with him, I was able to work with a trainer and get it smoothed out. After working with aggression with my last dog I can tell the difference and this dog wasn't coming over to say, "Hi". He was coming over in aggressive manner with a lot of deep growling and focusing on the pup and not much with me until I got in the way and stood my grown with it by stopped moving backwards, this was when the dog started growling at me when we had a bit of a stand off then it backed down and the kids were able to get the dog to walk with them.
I thought I was going to have to fight this thing, thank god I didn't have to and like what carmspark said if this was full grown dog that would of shown aggression back, I know my last dog would engage, the little girl could be in a lot of trouble being in the mixed of two big powerful breeds fighting. I hope to see the owners soon as I've seen that dog walk by my house a lot, almost daily, I live in a pretty small town.

well i hope you're able to talk to the parents soon. good luck. Thanks for clarifying BTW.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page