Trouble socializing, need advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Trouble socializing, need advice

I just got a 3 month old white german shepherd puppy, Milo. He is adorable in all aspects untill he comes near another dog. Our vet suggested he should intereact with healthy vaccinated dogs since he still has one more round of puppy shots. So far ive only introduced him to my mothers female Pit mix who is friendly, and my mother in laws male chow. Milo instantly barks when ever the other dog is coming up to me or my husband. We have only had him about a week and it surprises me how territorial he is. He actually make my mothers pit mix cower away and shes 10 yrs old and bigger than him! He barks and the heckles come out almost ever time.
He also constanly watches the other dog and stares them down. I need advice on how to socialize him better. He also shys away from new people but seems to be getting over that a little better.
Everyone keeps saying "oh hes only a 3 month old puppy, give him time" Well i had a shepherd mix years ago who did not get along with other dogs and i was extremly protective of me, i dont want that happening again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Elite Member

He's 3 months old and a baby. He is NOT territorial, he is terrified! As his 'human' it is your job to make him feel secure and safe.

Where are you located, so we may point you in the direction of a good puppy class.

-Cassie
Shenzi the GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scruffy "To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.-Thomas Campbell"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zira “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.” -J.K Rowling
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Norfolk area, in Virginia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Normal over excited puppy behavior. Don't look at it as aggressive or protective or anything but NORMAL!

But it's NOT polite. And while puppies may get away with it, it's our job to manage and work with the puppy to act a bit more appropriately. Puppy classes are perfect!

But there are other places to meet and greet. You get to see this video yet? Check out around 2:00 cause you may see something that looks familiar from the other puppy we meet!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Just watched the video, my pupy in no way tries to play. His heckles go up and is scared and defensive. im hoping him being around other dogs for a while will teach him how to play. Right now he is not in sharing mode, if another dog takes his toys he will bark, and if they go anywhere near his crate he goes bizerk (wether he is in it or not.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page