Trouble after walk - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Trouble after walk

My pup is 22 weeks old and we always go for a walk on leash everyday. In the past, we have seen adults and children with no issue and some dogs. He watched the dogs and interacted with them if they were friendly and approached. No issues. However, last week while on our walk we rounded the corner to meet a woman walking two pitbulls. Both lunged at my pup and growled trying to attack. The women could barely hold them and was unable to move her dogs. I crossed to the other side of the street and moved my pup along. He was fully hackled with ears and tail up and staring at the dogs. I took another route home to avoid them.

The problem is that next walk the first dog he say he started barking and jumping toward it with hackels up. Is he ruined by this experience? What should I do to get him back on track? There are not many dogs in our neighborhood and no parks since this is a rural area but I don't want him to turn dog aggressive in case I have to board him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Wow 58 views and no one has any ideas?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Master Member

It's possible meeting up with the aggressive dogs was a scary/traumatic event for your pup... but right now, nothing he does is set in stone. I'd highly recommend getting him into a puppy class. That way he can safely socialize with people and other dogs so that he can start building positive associations!

Murdock, BH - GSD
Virgil, CGC - GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tara, Reagan, Madison, and Jefferson - Aussies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Think you need to avoid the scary meetings like that one (know it's not your fault ) and be extra vigilant for a bit.

Plus any family/friends/neighbors with great dogs need to be 'used' as positive experiences.

There's alot you can do BEFORE your pup hackles and barks. Get their attention. Give them a treat for a reward. ALWAYS put your dog on the other side of YOU when passing other dogs (or behind you). If you see questionable dogs coming, you can even calmly cross the street BEFORE your dog reacts so you get kind of close and while your dog is still well behaved removing them from the possible OVERLY fearful reaction of too close.

There's a great DVD called Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas that is great for showing us early signs of a concerned dogs and giving us tools to help. Not about obedience work (yahoo) but just natural more 'doglike' things we can do to help or hurt the situation.

Dog classes would be great to start up at this time! Many of us start at around 6 months cause it's such a great age for our dog to begin learning what they need to know and for US to learn how to teach it!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page