Puppy socially dense - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Question Puppy socially dense

Ack, I was just outside in the garage with my 13 week old pup. Along walks the neighbors dog, who is a very friendly calm dog and always loose on the property. The neighbor's dog is older and ignores my puppy, but tries to come to me with tail wagging, letting out a side growl at the pup as it tries to get to me happily. usually my puppy tries to jump on it to play, and I pull her back with the leash, but she is so excited she wont focus on anything but getting to the dog.

Today puppy was not on a leash, slipped away from me and jumped and jumped on the older dog, who started growling really loudly and all the hackles went up on her back. Puppy..... just kept jumping on top of the the dogs face! Until I could get her and remove her from the dog.

She is in puppy class and has greeted other pups very nicely, played nicely with them. She has older dog friends, greets them first and then wants to play. But when they want to stop she is COMPLETELY oblivious to any signals about this, no matter how obvious. Its no just barking or play bow, but jumping on the head of a dog who is clearly telling her to F off. There's not even the second of "oh, wait a minute, I think I hear a rumbling, what is it?" I have seen other pups do that, then go back to playing, but it seems no signals from other dogs stop her even for a second. I'm worried she cant even notice these signals because it says to me she could get hurt at some point.

How can I train her out of this? She sees a fair amount of dogs, but they are at class or when walking through crowds, etc. We are going to the baseball game for dogs tomorrow. I am guessing training this will take sustained co-ordination with another dog and its owner to set up something? She is the typical very wiggly, friendly pup where other dogs are much more exciting than food. Given her age I'm not sure what realistic expectations are regarding the level of impulse control I can expect her to develop with other dogs at this time and also how to go about this training. (we are doing impulse control work with food and she does GREAT, so I know she has good skills in that area, but don't know how to get it to translate to relationships with dogs).

Please help, any experience with the training and appropriate goals from this age onwards?

Thanks!

Redhawk and Taibhsearachd (AKA "Tav")

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Redhawk; 08-29-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Crowned Member

Eventually, the older dogs will get tired of it and give her a correction to make her stop. Right now she's so young they're very tolerant. A friendly wiggly pup is a good thing but you'll need to control her unwanted advances. She'll find plenty of dogs who want to play
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Crowned Member

I would have a friendly chat with the neighbour and ask him to keep his dog at home.
You can't have this dog wandering onto your property whenever the mood suits him .
Your dog is on his own turf , his territory, under supervision, under control.
He doesn't need to be bitten by an older dog , who does not belong, who because of age and whatever is cranky and not tolerant of youthful exuberance.
If your dog were to be bitten then you could have issues for the remainder of your dogs life , which is a little longer than the old dogs.

my house is your house - no not really -- part of the GSD nature

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM
Knighted Member

Agreed - the neighbors' dog is an intruder, and while things are resolving for the moment you have seen the warning signs. Hopefully your neighbor will comply by keeping his dog on her own turf, but if not you will have to do what you can to keep her out of your yard. It might mean building a secure fence if you don't already have one. This is a situation which may well escalate as your girl gets older and more protective of her territory - and if the other dog is cranky because of age or soreness, she might nail your puppy at any time.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 PM
Elite Member

agree with the others if the older dog is growling and snippety at this stage then it's not going to go well when yours gets older and he keeps coming over trying to control things. But that is way off topic from what you are asking... You're pup is a pup and acting as such and IMO you are expecting too much. Of course on leash you manage the situation by pulling your pup away and giving other dogs their own space but for her to just know and be well behaved I think she's too young and let her grow up. Jinx was the same way at that age ALLLL PUPPY!!!!! She would crawl all over other dogs they would growl and even snap at her (I knew the other dogs they wouldn't actually bite but would snap in the direction for a correction) and miss happy go lucky puppy wasn't the slightest bit phased she would just keep getting close up to the point where she would actually be sitting on top of their back while they layed down she didn't care how mad they were she would keep pushing because in her mind they would really eventually love her she just knew it I mean how could someone NOT love her? I would let her greet the other dogs and be a little annoying but then pulled her back and stopped her but did no further training on it I just managed it and as she grew up it phased itself out it was just her being all puppy.

Jinx vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page