12 week weigh in - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronda View Post
Julie,

Haha, I was actually dead set on a male and it never really occured to me that there wouldn't be at least 1! I had the option to move my deposit to another litter but the breeder had advised me to go with this pairing originally and since this was my first working line, I went with his suggestion and decided a female would be just fine. So I went and picked Saphira out of 4 black females and she was a fireball even at 7 weeks. She's a ton of puppy and I've been in tears more than once with her but I can't imagine how boring my life would be without her.

You can see updated pics of her in the Social Saphira goes Shopping thread if you want to see her at 12 weeks.

Post some more pictures of Dia!

Ronda
i just checked out the thread, she is a beauty. i don't know how anyone could mistake her for a lab... so bass pro shops allows dogs? i wonder if gander mountain does too because the only place dia goes is petsmart and thats not too good because other dogs there could have something, she is up to date with her shots, but you could never be too careful. i just posted a thread earlier today of her day. It was fun, we got her a backpack that she will grow into, and played with bubbles we also combed her down real good... https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...hard-life.html
whats funny is the only thing someone had to say was a negative comment about the furminator....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliejujubean View Post
i just checked out the thread, she is a beauty. i don't know how anyone could mistake her for a lab... so bass pro shops allows dogs? i wonder if gander mountain does too because the only place dia goes is petsmart and thats not too good because other dogs there could have something, she is up to date with her shots, but you could never be too careful. i just posted a thread earlier today of her day. It was fun, we got her a backpack that she will grow into, and played with bubbles we also combed her down real good... https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...hard-life.html
whats funny is the only thing someone had to say was a negative comment about the furminator....

Bass Pro Shop is totally ok with dogs. I have never seen too many there just a lab or two and once a swissie but they had no issue with Saphira coming in...of course she is my lab puppy hunting prospect.

I'll probably take her weekly just because its close, not too many dogs, and so busy.

About the furminator...I have been grooming for about 14 yrs professionally and they do have a tendancy to break off the hair shaft. I got one when they first came out years ago and did not like the results on certain breeds, gsds being one of them. I would suggest you buy a grooming rake...looks like a comb with a handle set in a T-shape. Safari Undercoat Rake | PetEdge.com This will pull out the undercoat as opposed to the furminator which will damage the guard hair top coat. If you are really trying to de-shed a dog, your best bet would be to invest in a force dryer. Expensive but really gets the last of the loose hair out. When we have gsds come into work, I do no brushing before the bath but first wash the dog with my recirculating system (you can learn how to build these too online) and then apply a deshedding product from Nature's Specialties (you can also use a really thick remoisturizing conditioner for this step) . Let the dog soak in this and while he's soaking, take your rake and start brushing. The conditioner lubricates the hair, the rake will slide thru easily, and it does not pull as much. Plus the hair comes out in big, wet clumps which is better than all the loose fluffy stuff going everywhere. Then rinse the dog well. Towel dry the excess moisture off and I apply a silicone finish spray at this point. By now you will have removed almost all of the undercoat and when you begin to force dry the dog with the blower, this poofs out the last of the stubborn loose hair. Voila! A much, much less hairy gsd! I have quite a following in my area for deshedding...lots of gsds, huskies, labs, and other "wash and wear" breeds come in and pay good money because I can get so much hair out.

Ronda
atomic likes this.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Elite Member

Ronda, does any hair come out at 12 weeks? My pup has no shedding at all.

When do you start with the rake?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Notorious D.O.G. just hit the 14 week mark and he is currently 34.2 lbs. He was 17.8 when we got him at 8 weeks old. He has even just began to teeth!
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr16 View Post
Ronda, does any hair come out at 12 weeks? My pup has no shedding at all.

When do you start with the rake?
We don't really start doing those major de-sheds until they have lost that puppy "fuzz" and have some real adult coat in. My pup is about 12.5 weeks and you can see the strip of adult hair coming in on her back...its thick, coarser, and much shinier. Occasionally I get a little bit of her puppy fuzz on my shirts but not enough to really have to rake. You can totally get her used to the rake though by lightly using it all over her although I doubt you will get any hair out at this point.

One more thing, as a groomer, start getting them used to grooming now, when they are small and easy to bribe! Clipping the tips of nails, handling feet, cleaning ears and getting used to a soft puppy slicker brush now will pay off loads in the future, either for you if you do your own grooming or for your groomer and your pocketbook if you have it done professionally. I start a lot of pups at 10 weeks and by the time they are unruly adolescents, they are stars for grooming at least. I have a brother and sister set of gsds that I have been grooming since they were 9 weeks or so and you could not ask for better behaved dogs...they lift their paws up for nail clipping, jump in the tub, love to be dried, and are joys to do. On the other hand I have a female gsd I do that is extremely timid and resorts to fear biting when she gets really overwhelmed...she did not have her first grooming experience until she was 18 months...over the last year or so, she has made great progress and I no longer muzzle her for grooming but it took a lot of time and patience, cost the owner a pretty penny for the extra time, and if anyone other than me has to handle her she gets muzzled for safety.

Ronda
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 PM

My pup was born March 14 and he is now 43 pounds. Everyone thinks hes older than he is.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:20 AM
Elite Member

I just got my pup, he's only 8 weeks old but he only weighs 11.6 lbs!! Everyone always comments on how BIG he is but to be comparable to yours, he'd have to gain 10 lbs in the next 3 weeks. We shall see
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:25 AM

At 12 weeks, 3 days (which was Saturday) Kaiya weighed 19 lbs., 4 oz.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Crowned Member

At 12 weeks old, Mason weighed 26.5lbs.
Right now, at 15 months old, he weighs about 75-80lbs. (He goes to the vet on Monday for his annual check up, so I will know for sure then.)
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

dia got weighed yet again, born march 19 so she is just over 4 months old now and she weighs 39.8 pounds

, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page