Socialization for a Singleton - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Talking Socialization for a Singleton

Yep we have a singleton. A Basha reincarnated singleton. A very smart little boy. He is so cool!! I wish I didn't have 3 dogs to train and handle cuz he would be staying if I didn't!

He is very confident and thinks he needs to do everything the big dogs do. He is getting great pack behavior skills from his big dog pack and lots of special attention from his human pack. This experience has convinced me if raised properly single pups are not at a disadvantage. Even Artimus is in on the socialization and lets him crawl all over him and plays ever so gently with him.

He has a couple of names he comes happily running to "Slick" is becoming the most commonly used around here. He will be 6 weeks old on Sunday, if your walking by he is following you, plays tug with a lock jaw grip, chases everything that moves, loves to play with his toys and roll around on the floor and pull on our hair, eats real chicken broth soaked puppy food and drinks out of the big dogs water bowl by choice and he gets to start going outside Sunday after his first shot..... Let the fun begin!!!

I want him to be the best puppy ever for his new owners. I want them to absolutely love his temperment and have absolutely no reservations about owning a singleton. So Lets hear your suggestions what you would do to socialize your singleton?

Basha Vom Whirling Thunder, CGC TC VCD1 NF AXJ OA
Sierra Vom Whirling Thunder, CGC TC
TNT Artimus Von Der Torrens Haus

Maximus Malicious Ranger, CGC TC RN CD TD
07/04/01-03/29/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Master Member

I'm bummed that you didn't get any replies as this is a subject I'm curious about. The articles I've read on the subject of singletons haven't been very flattering in regards to how a singleton's temperament will develop since they lose out on a lot socialization skills w/o littermates. Although some articles did say all is not lost if the breeder is aware of this and is involved in giving them a good headstart. I'm glad your boy is doing well.

Rumi vom Haus Barrett 8/24/2010 BRAT, HCT, CGC
Dakota GSD rescue 7/1/00 - 9/15/11 CGC, RA, CD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gunnar GSD/greyhound rescue 1995-2005
Kodi GSD/husky rescue 1991-2004
Cleo, pug and Happy, mutt from childhood
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Think just being aware he is a singleton and that can cause issues is key. Having other dogs and him out with them is a huge advantage too.

I just found more great info:

Dog Behavior Blog: Singleton Puppies

http://www.kennelspotlight.com/Litte..._Singleton.pdf

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks Maggie I will check it out! He passed the Vollhard appitude test Sunday with flying colors but lets see what else we can do.

Basha Vom Whirling Thunder, CGC TC VCD1 NF AXJ OA
Sierra Vom Whirling Thunder, CGC TC
TNT Artimus Von Der Torrens Haus

Maximus Malicious Ranger, CGC TC RN CD TD
07/04/01-03/29/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page