Proper etiquette when meeting a stranger - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Proper etiquette when meeting a stranger

We've seen a few threads regarding the proper way to approach a strange GSD. But I'd like to see what folks think about when taking your GSD to greet a stranger (to the dog). What do you consider proper etiquette?

Last weekend, hubby had a few friends over. I put Hondo in the back yard before they arrived because a large GSD can be intimidating to some people. Hondo wasn't being punished, he likes the back yard.

I was in the back bed room when I heard hubby call Hondo's name. I came up to the living room and there stood three grown men (hubby being the forth) all with their hands in their pockets and/or crossed on their chests. You could tell they weren't very sure about Hondo. Hondo does not greet wiggly giggly. Hondo couldn't be bothered by them and that was why hubby was calling him back - he wanted Hondo to let them pet him. But the men sure didn't look like that was something they wanted to do.

Later that night I spoke to hubby about it. I just don't think everyone wants a GSD in their space. What do ya'll think? Do you have certain friends who you know are not comfortable around your dog? Do you seperate your dog (s) from them because of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

We have one boxer who has to have very careful introductions to strangers. We hold her (so she doesn't lunge and bite) and they give her a treat and let them sniff her. It really depends on the dog. If it were my friends, in the backyard, I would have thrown a ball for Jax. She will always bring it back to the first person she sees to throw it for her. But in public, she ignores everyone. It all about what's in it for her! LOL
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Crowned Member

I have the exact opposite of that. Everyone loves Sinister, all of my friends and family members actually want him. They all tell me that if something were to happen to me they would take him. My mom and dad are divorced and they actually get very angry when this subject comes up because they both want him Sometimes I think they are planning to kill me? I have also heard my friends tell their parents or their other friends that they want my dog. I dont have to introduce Sinister to anyone, he does it himself. He has never met a person that he didn't walk up to and give his paw to. He loves everyone and everything. I watch his body language and he is always happy and excited when he sees or meets someone he doesn't know. Like I always say "Sinister has never met a stranger before"

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:08 PM

Not sure about your friends Jax, but mine would think i was crazy if i wanted them to sniff my dog!
Sorry, i couldn't resisit.

Ellie - German Shepherd
Boo - Terrier mix
Sadie - Jack Russell
Addie - Cat
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'm thinking Hondo wouldn't be to happy if our human friends walked up to Hondo and sniffed his butt either! LOL
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:29 PM

None of my gsd's have ever had a problem with lots of people in my house/yard..People they know, people they don't know.

My male aussie is the guardian around here

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I appreciate everyone's replies. But I don't think I made my question very clear.

We all love our dogs. We want everyone who is special to us to love our dogs as well. Therefore, when your favorite co-worker (new friend etc.) comes to your home and you want him/her to meet the famous fido that you speak so much about - what do you do? Do you ask first? Or, because it's fido's home do you just let fido greet on his or her terms and anxious co-worker (or friend etc.) has to grin and bare it?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 PM

ahh,,my fido's meet anyone at the door...

If someone is coming over that I know is not especially dog /pet friendly,,I will take that into consideration to a point and most likely put them outside..

However, most of the time anyone that knows me, it's 'you want to visit, the dogs are part of the package" I don't let them pester people They DO seem to be drawn tho to people who are not dog people..Like my MIL,,she is not a dog person, and I swear everytime she comes over, the dogs are all over her LOL...I let THAT happen, cause heck it's my MIL

I think one does have to respect a person coming over who is afraid of dogs, if they are 'that' afraid tho, then they probably won't visit..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Elite Member

whether your dog is a lap dog or a great dane some people just aren't into dogs. i think dog owners should respect that, especially if you want these people to continue visiting you. my mom for 1 is not a dog fan. she does ok with mine though, but i do her the courtesy of locking them up while we eat, and keeping them away from/off her.

some people just don't like being drooled on, having their crotch sniffed, having some chewed up hair infested toy shoved into their lap etc...lol

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I appreciate everyone's replies. But I don't think I made my question very clear.

We all love our dogs. We want everyone who is special to us to love our dogs as well. Therefore, when your favorite co-worker (new friend etc.) comes to your home and you want him/her to meet the famous fido that you speak so much about - what do you do? Do you ask first? Or, because it's fido's home do you just let fido greet on his or her terms and anxious co-worker (or friend etc.) has to grin and bare it?
I would assure whoever comes in that hasn't met my dog that he is very friendly and he will come up and sniff you and will most likely give you his paw, after he does that he will sit by my feet and leave you alone. All they need to do is come in, be relaxed and sit down. I will then let the person in and Sinister will greet him on his own. That's how I would do it if the person was nervous.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page