10 lb in 2 weeks?! Too fast? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to EdwardDrapkin
10 lb in 2 weeks?! Too fast?

Hey there!

I took Emma, who is now 17 weeks old, to the vet yesterday and two weeks ago. I made an extra visit so that she could get a rabies shot before classes start next week, when the visits are usually 3 weeks apart.

So, 2 weeks ago, she was 23.8 lb and yesterday she was 32.4! So she's gained 9.6lb in two weeks, which is scary fast to me. I haven't changed her diet or anything and her growth has just accelerated and accelerated. She's only 17 weeks and also as big as some of the dogs in the 6 month thread, so should I be worrying about growing pains at all? Is there any reliable way to tell how big she's going to get and/or when this mad growth spurt will end? If it matters at all, her father is 80 lb and her mother is mid-70s and I can track down the sizes for the parents' parents if it will matter.

She's active, happy and not at all overweight (the vet was very adamant about pointing this out), so should I be worried at all?

Emma <3 Born 03/01/10

Last edited by EdwardDrapkin; 06-26-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Crowned Member

Don't fret over it. As long as you are feeding a quality appropriate diet for a GSD pup, then it may just be a spurt.
Teething is going on now, and may get worse, so pup is probably storing up for when the appetite may lessen because it is painful to eat.
Karlo gained an average of 3# a week, same scale, same time of day he was weighed.
At 17 weeks he weighed 44# and was 21".
Of course males/females are very different and I remember K's female littermates were always about 10 or 20# lighter. BTW, Karlo and Emma are 1 yr and 1 day apart in age!
Vets are use to seeing overweight dogs, when they see one that isn't they sometimes think too thin. I know my vet always commented on Karlo's structure saying he could gain a few. He is just right, IMO. Being a sable excentuates the rib cage, making him appear thinner.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-26-2010 at 06:41 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to EdwardDrapkin
Well, I'm certain she's not overweight; her ribs are usually visible (she fluffs up a bit for an hour or two after she eats) but not so much so that it frightens me.

Here's some pictures of her, to demonstrate her size (about two weeks old, I haven't taken new ones, so she's larger, but proportionally the same):

I'm just worried about overfeeding her because I've read that feeding them can encourage bigger growth - she eats TOTW wild prairie right now, and I give her some chicken/brocolli/cauliflower goo that I made for her (chicken was on sale at $0.69/lb but I had to buy 20lb of it and there's no way I'm going to eat 20lb of chicken in the next six months, let alone before it gets too freezer burnt to eat). Based on her size, and with vet approval, she's been eating 5 cups of food a day, more or less, but the first time I took her to the vet, I was told she was too thin and I had to increase her food, so I'm not inclined to believe I'm feeding her too much, but I could be wrong.

I'm also really worried about growing pains, as the breeder had told me that some of her dogs from that pairing before had growing pains (there's another, more medical word I can't pronounce or remember for it) and I don't want my dog to grow more than is natural and have a bunch of pain because I was feeding her too much!

Emma <3 Born 03/01/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Crowned Member

I would switch her to the TOTW salmon based, it has less calcium/phosporus and that should be kept low. Or go with Wellness super5mix large breed puppy or Orijen puppy. Those have the right ratios for growing pups. Cauliflower, broccoli are not necessary. Are you feeding the chicken raw?
I would supplement daily with human grade vitamin C(500mg), 2000mg Salmon oil, along with a 400iu vitaminE
Panosteitis(growing pains) can happen at any time, two of my dogs had bouts of it. The vitamin C will help eleviate inflammation. You can up the C slowly separating dosage with mealtimes to 1000mg daily. Adult dogs can have up to 2000mg as long as their gut will handle it, I switch to EsterC after my dogs are grown(it is easier on the stomach but has too much calcium for growing puppies).
The main thing is keeping growth slow for proper joint development.
She does not look fat, in fact she does look a bit thin, but I wouldn't worry as long as she is growing/gaining.
With teething on the doorstep, a hefty weight gain right now is normal.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-26-2010 at 07:15 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Master Member

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post1829370

I had Remy on the same food and was told from the great people on this forum to switch. You can read my above post.

I put him on Wellness LBP and he is doing awesome.

Michael

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page