Extremely Busy Week, Lots of People/Noise...14wk old pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Extremely Busy Week, Lots of People/Noise...14wk old pup

ABCs Extreme Home Makeover wants to remodel a home in my neighborhood. The project is to start next week and last for 9 days. The crew has asked if we would mind if they put a tent in out yard for catering/food for the crew. The tent would take up most of our backyard, and there would be a lot of noise/people traffic for 9 days.

We want to help out, the family that was picked really deserves it. Im just worried about the dog. He wont have as much room to run and will have many new noises/distractions in the yard. Hes a little skittish as is, im afraid this could mess him up. But i also feel as if it could be good for getting him used to crowds/noises, and socialize with the people that will be here.

We have not agreed to let them do this yet, but they really would like this help from us, because we have such a big backyard. They already told us we would be compensated, and any damages would be fixed to the way it was. But its damage to the dog im worried about, hes 14weeks old.

Thoughts? feelings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

oh for those who dont know...its a TV show, that finds families in need, and completely transforms/modernizes their home in a week. its an around the clock process for 9 days, but the end result is a great thing.

...only thing is, the entire neighborhood feels the grunt of how busy it can be.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 PM

I would say go for it and use it to your advantage. Extra money is always nice and its only a week. Plust it would be a great chance to socialize him with people.

Dogs:
Akira-7-8 y/o Mutt
Munchkin-N/A y/o Sh-it-zu
Reno-2yr old GSD GOOFBALL
Persephone-16 month old GSD TERROR
Orcan-waiting for me at the bridge
Cats:
Mitzie- 1 y/o spoiled brat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Crowned Member

I say go for it. He's a puppy and what a chance for socialization!

You will probably have to take him elsewhere to let him run and get exercise but it's for such a short time that it seems a minor inconvenience!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 PM
Crowned Member

Will they let you video stuff on the side? Just say your doing a documentary on your puppy's growth and development!

If it comes to the point where he seems overwhelmed by everything, crate him in a room with a fan running so he doesn't hear the outdoor stuff going on, though I assume this will be around the clock type situation for a week or so? They will have access to your property at all hours, correct?
Better for a 14 week old than a year old that is starting to "protect" his property...

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-17-2010 at 04:55 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

yea its going to be all hours of the day, 100s of people throughout the days. the noise should just be a generator(which is really loud) and the chatter of the crew on food breaks.

...and im sure i could film the dog if i wanted...its my property
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 07:32 PM

the show did a home make over here , we supplied them with a huge pot of clam chowder one nite, (donated from my business),,,it was a ZOO..but a fun zoo

Chaotic , lots of noise, and constant working,,but a good cause..

Tell em if the dog gets to be on tv you'll do it ))))

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

We remodeled our house a couple of years ago, I didn't have a kitchen for 4-1/2 months, and at one point we were walking on plywood laid across the concrete foundation in places where the damaged hardwood floor had been ripped out. There were two big curtain walls blocking off sections of the house, including the front door, the entryway, the living room and family room. All but the two small bedrooms were recarpeted, and most of the interior of the house was repainted.

While this was being done, the dogs (Dena & Keefer at the time) spent all day every day in the garage pen. Workmen walked past them in and out of the house, as this was the only access. There was loud equipment, including a tile saw set up in the driveway for a while. When the interior was repainted they had to stay in the garage until bedtime several days, and we whisked them down the hall and into their crates in the bedroom so they didn't touch the wet paint on the walls. When the hardwood floors were refinished we moved into a motel for 4 days, and they lived in the garage. They only saw us briefly in the morning and evening when we came by to feed them and hang out in the yard for a little while.

Their lives (and ours!) were totally disrupted! But they were fine. Nine days are nothing - you can always crate him in the house as Jane suggested, and it could be a great socialization opportunity. Just make sure that people are not allowed to overwhelm him.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM

Take the oppourtunity. Your family obviously needs help if you got onto that show, tell me when it airs so i can watch.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

..im assuming u didnt read the first post...its not my house, its a neighbor. but i'll let u know when it airs ..

thanx to everyone who replied..i think we' are going to do it, i just didnt want the little guy to be traumatized.

..any other thoughts, negative as well, would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page