obedience class was a bust Sat - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to rebelsgirl
obedience class was a bust Sat

Zoe went to her 4th class on Saturday. I was stoked, I found her some new treats that she loves, and she was doing off leash work (in the house) with them. Something she's never done before.

I thought come Saturday she'd be the best of the bunch.. but it proved to not be so. They had us doing left and right turns, uturns and 360's, which she will do at the house, but at class, she started lunging and barking at another dog. She's done this before with a little dog in class, but she got over it and resumed her class. This time she had to be put in time out.

What is really strange is, in time out, she sat next to a dog in a crate, and she loved him. Wanted to sit by him, sniff him, let him sniff her.. but on the floor she just wasn't having it.

The trainer was great about it, and didn't blink. But I was mortified. I'm taking her today to have her fitted for a halti. Do any of you think this will work on her?

Next Saturday I plan on her being so tired from playing and running outside that she won't care about the other dogs.. not sure if it'll work or not.

Took her to the park yesterday, she passed, ducks, geese, squirrels and birds and never offered to mess with them. She also passed people, kids and loud music at the swimming pool at the park. So I'm not sure what's going thru her mind when she does this.

Thanks if you can offer any insight?
Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Knighted Member

Haltis worked amazing for Molly they really do work well!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:04 AM

Lots of Dog classes not up to snuff

this is my take in MHO:
I took some of my earlier dogs to dog classes. But I found that quite often they pick up bad habits at those classes.
Find that nothing is better than train your dog yourself, I have been working with Juta, for the last 4 months daily. She loves to learn.
Most important thing off course to be consistent and make it fun.
I take her everywhere, she behaves extremely well with people, other dogs even cats.
We live in the woods and have lots of deer, squirrels and chipmunks. Well she will only chase the deer of the property If I tell her to go, same with squirrels and chipmunks. She will look at me and when I say no, she will stay put.
we are also working on no leash when walking her, she is about 80% there.
The key is to spend time with your dog, and get to know the signs.

Juta GSD 5 years (rescue) my love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thor Yellow lab male (RIP) my sailing buddy
Zoe Yellow lab female (RIP)
Buddy Yellow Lab male (RIP)
Gaston black and Tan miniature Dachshund (RIP)
Bella my first love GSD (RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

I utilize the Halti on Hondo and love it. Hondo didn't like it at first - took about three days for him to get used to having it on his face, but after that initial response he works really well in it. Ask your trainer if they want you to work your dog in the Halti a couple of days before your scheduled class, or if he/she would prefer for you to introduce the Halti while in class.

Make sure that while in class you keep your pup excited and focused on you. I had to use real chicken to keep Hondo's focus. He just wanted to sleep. Try not to get too competitive (been there, done that) as it just leads to unfair expectations of your pup, and adds stress to you both (like I said, been there done that!).
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Knighted Member

Another note on Haltis our trainer told us to use treats at first to put it on. Once it is on him or her wear it for a few days without doing any corrections and praise so its a good experience
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
The trainer was great about it, and didn't blink. But I was mortified. I'm taking her today to have her fitted for a halti. Do any of you think this will work on her?

Next Saturday I plan on her being so tired from playing and running outside that she won't care about the other dogs.. not sure if it'll work or not.
Don't be mortified! Normal puppy behavior and no reflection on you. Just shows that normal 'my puppy is great when home alone but with distractions they act crazy!' thing.

This is why I love group classes. Cause they are set up like the 'real world' when my puppy will ALSO not listen if what I'm asking is TOO HARD or the distraction too much fun.

I need to make sure my puppy knows being near me, with me, learning from me, is the BEST place to be! Tons of treats, tons of positive reinforcement, ton of good from me, and nothing but nothing from everyone else.

Look how I lose my Glory B, and look how I react. I just get her back and we move on! Look how the instructor react.

Minute 1:00 and 1:15 and 1:20 and 1:24 (really lost her there) look how frequently I am clicking and rewarding during the training. BTW, this is in a room full of at least 6 other off leash dogs doing 6 different things at the same time.

Context and location DOES matter. Also, leaving us can be a 'calming signal' cause our pup is overwhelmed. So that's a break for them (though it may drive us up the wall adding to the stress !!! ).

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to rebelsgirl
I had a GSD for 10 years, and he would sit, down and out. But that was about the extent of his training. I never knew there were training classes near me. He'd have had so much fun.

I'm taking Zoe to Class in Rebels memory since he never got a chance to go. I don't think I could do it on my own. I don't know enough about the proper way to train.

The classes are really fun, but she doesn't focus on me. Treat or no treat. We're not allowed to use clickers, only positive reinforcement. I don't even pay attention to what the other dogs are doing because I'm so focused on her and what she is doing or not doing. So there''s no competition there.. lol. since I have tunnel vision at the time.

She will do her watch commands at the house, we're working on it outside, which she will do wonderfully after she has a good romp around the yard THEN does her training. But she will not come when called if she is not on a long lead. She completely tunes me out.

We spend every day together, with no one else here. I don't have anyone at home to help me train her since they only get home at bedtime.

I had just had three surgeries this last year for breast cancer (I'm 49) so I'm not the best at getting out in the heat with her, I think I am just not up to my strength yet, don't know if I'll ever be.. but I take her out in the evenings when the sun goes down. Otherwise we do our day training in the house.

I really want her to do well because the CGC is coming up, then rally ob, then hopefully when she passes her one year mark, agility. But if I can't get her to stop being reactive around other dogs, it may not happen. I did see some books listed on this site and bought them off Amazon. I'm hoping this will give me insight to why she sporadically does this lunging and barking.

Trainer says it's prey drive, husband says she's only a 7 month old puppy. But I don't want to be saying that when she is 3 or 4.. lol

I do have a clicker but I'm afraid if I use it at home, she really won't respond in class if I don't have it. We used it at pet smart when we were training there. But that's the last time we used it.
Maggierose, I can only dream of Zoe being in a room with other dogs off leash.. lol.. She loved the big Labrador in his crate, she loves her big brother, the Pomeranian that lives with her and she loves Tuff, a Tibetian shepherd she's played with. So not sure what's going on in class.

Trainer made a comment about maybe having to use the Halti, so I emailed her this weekend and am taking her in to make sure she's fitted right so she can get used to it for class on Saturday. This will be our 6th class. And she is treat motivated at home but NOT as class.. I'm at a loss.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsgirl View Post
We're not allowed to use clickers, only positive reinforcement.
I'm confused by this - what does she mean by "only positive reinforcement"? That's exactly what clicker training is! It marks the correct behavior, and then you reward it. You can use a clicker or your voice as a marker, but many of us use both.

Quote:
The classes are really fun, but she doesn't focus on me.
This is one of those things that clickers are GREAT for. When I get a new puppy I wear my treat bag from the time I get home from work until bedtime, and I mark and reward every little thing my puppy does that I like and want to encourage. Again, you can use either your voice or a clicker, but the clicker is a unique sound that's always the same (unlike your voice, which has different intonations and may reflect your emotions) and it's very precise. Puppy looks at me - click/treat. Puppy lays down on the floor - click/treat. Puppy starts walking towards me - click/treat.

The more you reinforce behavior the more she's going to do it, and at that point you can name it - "watch", "down", and "come" in my examples above. If my puppy pays attention well at home and looks at me often in the house, I'll put him/her on leash and go outside in a more distracting environment, and then WAIT. I say nothing, I do nothing. The second puppy looks at me, I mark and reward. Over and over and over. And then we go somewhere else and practice there. (Outside Walmart, Starbucks, the grocery store?)

If you require eye contact for everything - going outside, coming inside, getting in the car, getting out of the car, before throwing a ball, before getting a meal or a toy or a bone or chewy, it will become a default behavior. If you can't get her attention, you can't teach her anything, so start working on this right away. Maybe get to class a few minutes early, find a quiet corner and just reward her for looking at you,or do it outside the building. My dogs know that if they want something and I'm with them but just standing there staring off into space they should sit and look at me because that's what works to get my attention and to get what they want.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Crowned Member

What I meant by 'competitive' is wanting so bad to show how good your pup can be. You know she can be! She does so well at home! It can get really frustrating. But truly, that is just a puppy thing.

I don't think your pup can qualify for the CGC until the pup is at least one year old. So you have plenty of time, relax.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:46 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You can take the CGC at any age, there have been dogs that passed as young as 6 or 7 months old. The AKC does recommend that if your dog passed as a puppy they should be retested later.

Quote:
There is no age limit for the CGC test. A dog is never too old to be a good citizen. Puppies who have completed all immunizations and boosters may be tested, however, because we know that behavior and temperament can change over time, when puppies pass the CGC test, owners should have them re-tested as adults.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page