Proper or Improper introduction - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Proper or Improper introduction

Hello everyone. I brought Lakoda to a park where there was an agility event going on. She was very good, I even was able to get her attention at times. We walked around then sat along the side lines watching, just hanging out. Then this woman comes right up to us with her GSD, "Oh look at the baby" I get up because her dog was nosing up to Lakoda, shes only 4 months now, "Oh don't worry, she's fine". My mouth kind of dropped, I didn't really know what to say, then her dog discovered my pouch with treats and she planted herself infront of me. Stupid me, I go to give her one and she almost chomped my finger off.
So I explained what happened to our trainer at class the next day, which lead into a lenghty discussion of why she feels that allowing your dog to greet every dog you meet can have serious concequences. Mainly because you just do not know what "could" happen. Of couse I want Lakoda to be social. I have always been drawn to Shepherds, I grew up with them, but I would never approach a dog I do not know, because I don't know what the result could be. Most people respect other peoples space at dog events. And lets face it if Lakoda was full grown how many people would get in her face, most people are leary and would respect her space, mostly because she is a shepherd. I want her to have "friends" she plays with her brother on occasion and my other dogs. I was hoping that some others from class would want to do a play date, but now of course everyone is skeptical about it.
So my question for those that do go to shows/events is it proper to let your dog nose up to another dog you do not know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Crowned Member

I avoid 'nose to nose' introductions. Just my personal opinion. I don't want somebody elses dog all up in my dog's business.

If I know the other person - and I know they can handle their dog, I wouldn't be as concerned. But (IMO) it takes one dog to create an adverse enviroment. And it could take me a life time to correct it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 PM

I also prefer to avoid nose to nose and this concept of "meet and greet" and roll around on the ground with strange dogs. I let my puppy visit with others that I know and judge to be suitable for my small one. Fortunately I am at training frequently enough that I am able to use enough different more neutral dogs.

My pup gets time at home with his pack, goes places where he sees and passes other dogs and really I consider that to be more than enough. Consider that there are some dogs that are very social and not aggressive but can still be "too much" for your pup. Unless you're having a problem, I wouldn't go out of my way to let my pup play with other dogs.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
So my question for those that do go to shows/events is it proper to let your dog nose up to another dog you do not know?
While it's polite to ask............. I will say that at the agility trials I attend, the reason we all take our puppies from day one is because head to head contact DOES happen and for a well socialized pup, they take this well as adults.

The reason I like agility trials for this socialization is because the VAST majority of the dogs that are there are social and friendly so take these meetings well. Those with dogs that do NOT like others......their owners/handlers at the trial are EXTREMELY aware of their dogs issues and really keep an eagle eye on their dogs to keep them controlled.

Since you can get kicked out of the trial for aggression issues, and out of ALL AKC trials for real problems, agility people tend to be very on the ball with this.

Problems can obviously still occur so we have to be alert. As well as for any unentered dogs that may just be visiting the trial from the general public.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

when you're at a dog show people and dogs
get close. your dog has to been socialized and trained
so it knows how to act when at a dog show
or in public in general. <

you do approach dogs you don't know. you
offered a treat to the ladies dog and she snatched
the treat from you. (teach your dog not to snatch).

my dog had many play dates. i also invited
a lot of people to visit who didn't have dogs
just to make my dog socialable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
Then this woman comes right up to us with her GSD, "Oh look at the baby" I get up because her dog was nosing up to Lakoda, shes only 4 months now, "Oh don't worry, she's fine". My mouth kind of dropped, I didn't really know what to say, then her dog discovered my pouch with treats and she planted herself infront of me. Stupid me, I go to give her one and she almost chomped my finger off.

I have always been drawn to Shepherds, I grew up with them, but I would never approach a dog I do not know, because I don't know what the result could be.

Most people respect other peoples space at dog events. And lets face it if Lakoda was full grown how many people would get in her face, most people are leary and would respect her space, mostly because she is a shepherd. I want her to have "friends" she plays with her brother on occasion and my other dogs.

I was hoping that some others from class would want to do a play date, but now of course everyone is skeptical about it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

doggiedad, you misunderstood what I wrote, I did not approach the other dog. This woman and her dog got in our face, her dog pushed herself into my pouch of treats, are you saying this is acceptable behavior from a stranger? You don't think this woman should have controlled her dog better. I was glad when she came over at first, but the lack of control over her dogs behavior upset me. I am socializing my pup by taking her to all of these places, school & whatever else I can, I will expect her to learn proper manors and be well behaved. I would not allow my dog to rush up to just anyone and let her sit there and beg. Believe me next time a strange dog does that to me I wont give him anything.
This subject is very important to me. I have always tried to socialize my dogs. I can take both my older dogs places, they have good manors, I would not allow them to nose up to a stranger, human or canine because I just don't know what could happen. And I don't want my dogs to ever suffer the concequences of my poor judgement. How could I always be 100% sure my dog would not snap? That dog sitting at my feet could have snapped at my puppy because it really wanted the treat in my pouch, then what?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
This woman and her dog got in our face, her dog pushed herself into my pouch of treats, are you saying this is acceptable behavior from a stranger? You don't think this woman should have controlled her dog better.
Is this 'polite' dog behavior? Maybe not.

Does it happen all the time with friendly dogs at a dog trial? It does in my area. These well trained, well socialized dogs know EXACTLY what's in that treat bag. And since (in their mind) you weren't realizing how ADORABLE the other dog was being (and chances are they had offered a behavior like a 'sit' and you didn't reward it) so they 'reminded' you about the treats by poking it.

Quote:
How could I always be 100% sure my dog would not snap? That dog sitting at my feet could have snapped at my puppy because it really wanted the treat in my pouch, then what?
The very reason I socialize my puppies is so I KNOW my dogs won't 'snap' in these situations. I KNOW. 100%. Because they've been exposed to the situation, I DID NOT PANIC AND OVER REACT. Instead I am calm, happy, greet the new person/puppy and tend to put my hand in my treat bag and have BOTH pups go thru some basic tricks so BOTH pups can earn the treats, share the treats, learn the the world is a good normal place with good normal people.

The fact of the matter is that your pup was WONDERFUL! Shows how well you've been doing. And is exactly what I would always want from my dogs and expect from them.

You can't control other people and their dogs. But you CAN control yourself and how you behave, and train/socialize your dog for how THEY will behave.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page