Letting a german shepherd puppy run with me? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Letting a german shepherd puppy run with me?

Hi all,

I have a question about my 4 month old GSD puppy. I intend to take him rollerblading with me to have him "work" (pull me on the blades, run alongside me, etc) at some point in his life. He is currently training in basic obedience and is very good. He's also good with the blades (we went once or twice) and generally runs alongside me.

Here's my question:
I'm thinking I should avoid this strenuous exercise until his joints are fully developed but I wanted to know your opinion. Can I start him on that now? Just like until he gets tired and no more? I mean I understand they shouldn't be allowed to jump or do any agility due to their developing hips but what about running on a flat (although hard) surface? Is that ok?

Please let me know your opinion, I'd really appreciate it. We already go on walks (1.5 hours total per day) plus obedience training and games (fetch etc) but I really think something like this will help put his mind into a working mode and satisfy that need to work (by pulling me on command etc).

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 10:15 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I wouldn't rollerblade with him. The fact it would be on pavement (high impact) and repetitive (same speed) are 2 things to be avoided with puppies.

He still needs TONS of exercise, just it needs to be on a more forgiving surface (NOT hard pavement/streets) and more fast, slow, fast, normal, fast....

I know off leash hikes in the woods work best for my pups. We can do huge distances by 4 months (miles and miles) but the puppy can pace themselves. Even better if you can invite friends with their friendly dogs. Perfect for socialization.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:40 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Hi all,

I have a question about my 4 month old GSD puppy. I intend to take him rollerblading with me to have him "work" (pull me on the blades, run alongside me, etc) at some point in his life. He is currently training in basic obedience and is very good. He's also good with the blades (we went once or twice) and generally runs alongside me.

Here's my question:
I'm thinking I should avoid this strenuous exercise until his joints are fully developed but I wanted to know your opinion. Can I start him on that now? Just like until he gets tired and no more? I mean I understand they shouldn't be allowed to jump or do any agility due to their developing hips but what about running on a flat (although hard) surface? Is that ok?

Please let me know your opinion, I'd really appreciate it. We already go on walks (1.5 hours total per day) plus obedience training and games (fetch etc) but I really think something like this will help put his mind into a working mode and satisfy that need to work (by pulling me on command etc).

Thanks in advance!
I was running Nara from 4 months old until 6 months old, then started doing tons of research on this to ensure I wasn't overdoing it. I discovered that you shouldn't run a pup until they are 12 months old. It's just too hard on them. We stopped and waited, and then started running again at 1 year. Now she can run 9 miles a day non-stop (I'm sure she could run more if we tried) at 2.5 years old. We've switched to biking, because it gives her the same amount of exercise, but takes up 75% less time to cover the same distance. She loves it! She runs off lead at the cemetery after they close the gates, so we're the only ones in there.

Bottom line: definitely wait until your pup turns 1 year old. I posted on all of the GSD boards and 99% of the people who replied said to let the growth plates seal first so you don't damage your dog long term. Good luck. Hope that helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Hi Maggie, Kevin, Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely wait. I was 90% sure I needed to wait from what I read but I wanted to verify with other GSD owners. So for now it's just long walks with fetch on grass and training session for Einstein

Btw I love the hiking idea, unfortunately not too many wooded areas in Brooklyn...

Thanks again for the advice...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post

Btw I love the hiking idea, unfortunately not too many wooded areas in Brooklyn...

Thanks again for the advice...
If you get have/can borrow a car, come hike in the Poconos. Only 1.5 hours away, just go west on Rt 80.

Hiking the Delaware Water Gap in New Jersey Northwest Skylands:

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area Trails |

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thats a great idea actually. My little boy will have his last set of shots on 6/7 so sometime mid-june I'll make that trip. We used to stay in Bushkill and it's really not that far and they have those bushkill falls which we can hike in. Thanks again! I'll definitely try this in a month or so.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 02:01 PM

If you know Bushkill there are TONS of trails in the Delaware Water Gap NRA that are free free free..... Many are near creeks/streams/waterfalls/lakes/ponds so swimming can also be part of the trip.

Just contact the park, there are tons of trails on both sides of the Delaware and it's and easy ride for you for the day or weekend.

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisi...sb2WandWPA.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisi...d/sb2Hikes.pdf

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/upload/sb2AT.pdf

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

at 4 months old my dog wasn't doing a mile.
i slowly worked him into mile and longer hikes.
by the time my dog was 1.5 years old we
were doing 5 miles. a nice, slow
5 miles with several breaks. i need the slow pace
and breaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post

I know off leash hikes in the woods work best for my pups. We can do huge distances by 4 months (miles and miles) but the puppy can pace themselves. Even better if you can invite friends with their friendly dogs. Perfect for socialization.

YouTube - Hiking the Poconos w/Friends and their dogs
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

As usual, I'm the one that totally disagrees with this crazy advice not to run puppies, when they are the ones that need it the most. I think this myth was started by breeders of over angulated dogs and dogs with bad hips to help excuse their crippled dogs.

So long as you don't overdo and keep an eye on your pup, go for it. Four months is still pretty young and he will probably have to go fairly slowly at first and for shorter distances. My dog was running 3 miles a day by 6 months and is doing just fine and, gasp, he was and still does run on hard surfaces. Would it be better to run off leash and on soft surfaces? Sure, but that's just not possible for most people and running where possible is better than a puppy going crazy from lack of exercise.

Elaine and the herd
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
As usual, I'm the one that totally disagrees with this crazy advice not to run puppies, when they are the ones that need it the most. I think this myth was started by breeders of over angulated dogs and dogs with bad hips to help excuse their crippled dogs.
I think that's where the 'myth' of under-exercising come from. We still occasionally have people post here that their breeder told them NO STAIRS for their puppy until it's a year old.... so the questions about 'I can no longer carry my 6 month old puppy upstairs/downstairs, so what can I do?' show up.

CRAZY!

But much better for the breeder to blame the puppy owner for problems/issues that crop up structurally in a puppy. Than take the RESPONSIBILITY for the fact there are genetic issues in their lines.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page