How old is this puppy? Opinions needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

How old is this puppy? Opinions needed

Just wondering - how old would you say this puppy is? We are concerned that she isn't growing as much as she could be. She's just over 19 inches at the shoulder, was last weighed four weeks ago and was 8kg - about 22lbs. So is probably now a bit more than that. We think she is still a bit underweight though. So honest opinions please, should we be worried?
The indoor photos were just taken, the outdoor one about 2 weeks ago. Also, in the photo where she is sitting, do you think she is sitting strangely or is it nothing to be worried about? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	web1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1471   Click image for larger version

Name:	web2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1472   Click image for larger version

Name:	web3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1473   Click image for larger version

Name:	web4.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1474   Click image for larger version

Name:	wolfgangweb.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1475  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Crowned Member

I guess about 3 months old.

The puppy sit is kinda normal for a puppy. They are sometimes sloppy with the sit! I have heard people suggest that if it persists it could indicate hip issues, but I don't know any science on that.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:17 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Hard to tell from the photos, do you have a shot looking directly down on her? Like if you straddle her and point the camera to the floor and she keeps standing?

Better lean than fat as long as the vet's got her clear from any illness. And she's healthy and running around in general.

Don't worry about her sitting position, that just looks like a sloppy puppy sit to me. More important is if she can run and play like a maniac...

Did you check her height/weight on this site? Development & Socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums on the top there are 3 different stickys where we all stress and compare our puppies size...

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 07:24 PM
Crowned Member

I would also guess somewhere around 3 months of age

sloppy puppy sit is pretty normal

puppies should also be lean just like adults How to Evaluate Your Dog's Weight - For Dummies your pup looks fine to me

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 08:07 PM

She looks fine to me. There is a pretty big range in size in GSDs. My adult dogs range from 65-95lbs and there are plenty out there that are smaller and bigger. It's the same in puppies. I know some people have brought home 10lb pups at 8 weeks and some that have 24lb pups. You really cannot go on size or weight. She looks healthy and having them lean is better for their health and development than having them heavy.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Crowned Member

My little girl weighed 37lbs at 5 months. That is small! Then she took a growth spurt and is gaining.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies, you've really put my mind at ease.
The story is - we got her 11 weeks ago and we were told she was 7 weeks old then, which we now realise is too young to be taken from her mother regardless. So that would make her 18 weeks, but she looks so much smaller than she should be. We got her from a family in our town that got her as an unwanted present. We have always wanted a German Shepherd, and as she needed a home urgently we thought why not. However, we are sure she came from a BYB, no papers, no info or anything. She was also full of worms and very skinny when we got her, and had a very delicate stomach - diarrhea on and off for ages. So we see two possibilities - either she is 18 weeks but she and her mother were malnourished and so she is somewhat stunted and not growing as well as she could be, or that she was actually a lot younger than we were told. She doesn't show any sign of losing her baby teeth or coat yet.
The good news is that she is full of fun, does run around and play like a maniac, and takes great pleasure in torturing her big brothers! And like you all said, there is a wide range in sizes in puppies.
Maggie - i have spent time perusing those threads, that is partly how we realised how much smaller she seems than others her age, but again, I did notice that there is a wide range in size.
Brandi - Going by that chart I would say she is still closer to thin than ideal, but she is gaining weight slowly but surely. My boyfriend has actually just left the house with her and is going to drop into the vet and weigh her again, so hopefully we'll see a good increase!
I think I am just a bit paranoid, I've never had a "purebred" dog before, and am so aware of all the potential health problems German Shepherds can suffer from, I was convincing myself she was a Pituritary Dwarf!
Anyway, thanks again, and let me know - in your experienced opinions, which do you think is more likely - that she is younger than we thought, or just small for her age?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Well by boyfriend just texted me - she now weighs 12.5kgs - 27.5lbs, which is pretty much right on for three months. Which means, if she is three months, she would have only been 5 weeks old when she was taken from her mother !!!
That would help explain the nervousness and barking at strangers, wouldn't it?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiejosie View Post
Well by boyfriend just texted me - she now weighs 12.5kgs - 27.5lbs, which is pretty much right on for three months. Which means, if she is three months, she would have only been 5 weeks old when she was taken from her mother !!!
That would help explain the nervousness and barking at strangers, wouldn't it?
Most likely yes - three weeks to a young puppy translates to a long time in terms of social development. Or lack thereof. No matter - she is yours now, and you can make up for lost time by taking her out and about and introducing her to many new situations to build her confidence. Start OB training, a group class with other people and dogs is the best way to go if it is available where you live. She is very pretty! And if she ends up on the small side (my girl is only 63 lbs) that is actually the size she should be - the original GSD was classified as a medium sized dog. Have fun!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Elite Member

Yeah, she looks about 14 wks to me. Does she have the start of a diamond on her tail, about 1/3 of the way down. I believe that that forms when they hit about 16 wks and they start to loose their puppy fur. Is there anyway you can find out her birth date for sure?

When we got Zeva, they said she was 13 wks.. she was 11, almost 12... not that it matters that much, but it does make a difference when they're young and they change almost every day.

I'm sure ppl here can give you a better idea when the diamond appears on their tail. HTH.

Zeva came to me also full of worms and w/ fleas.. I know I saved her from them and have given her a great life, kids, parasite free and she's just a wonderful dog and very healthy and happy. She was small, and very lanky for a while. Here paws and ears were huge but she just wasn't getting bigger or growing in to them.. she is now, at 7 1/2 mos.

As for the sit, I think a lot of dogs sit that way sometimes.. I wouldn't worry about that.

When you got her, how was she on solid foods? If she really was only 5 wks old, I'd think she'd still need to be eating wet kibble. There are pix of 5 wk old pups from some of our breeders, check a look at them and see if that's what she looked like when you got her.

Zeva Female GSD 10/02/2009

Waiting at the Bridge:
Buddy ~ GSD/Husky mix 1/00
Sadie ~ GSD 10/05
Lady ~ GSD 5/09
Pepper ~ Beagle 12/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page