Pup Aggression towards others - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Blitz1203
Pup Aggression towards others

Alright, so Blitz is about 5 months old now and healthy. We've kept working with him to ensure his training isn't lost and been working on new items like off leash and whistle recall. He used to be shy towards folks, but warmed up eventually and would be friendly. The first bad incident we had was when my friend came over. Blitz barked at him and wouldn't take a treat from him or even get close to him. So I decided that a walk might help so we all went on a nice walk and it seemed to work out. He began acting a bit more playful, but still wasn't overly social with him. I went to cook and the pup got left alone with my friend and well he freaked out and pissed all over the place. Now my friend is weird looking.. (very tall and thin) I figured Blitz may just be afraid of him. About a month has gone by.. we just moved into a new home and he meets the DishNetwork guy. The Dish guy seemed nice.. I had no problem with him so it wasn't something Blitz was reading off of me. I put him on his leash and introduced them, but he remained shy. The man turned around and my dog jumped at him and tried to nip him.. Thankfully I had fast reflexes and no damages were done. I finally got him to quit barking at the man and kept him leashed by my side. I made him sit, but he wouldn't take his eyes off the guy. This was much worse than the experience Blitz had with my friend so I separated them in my head. He was just shy to my friend and he saw something in the Dish guy that we didn't. I read that if a dog is social to other folks, but doesn't like a few people he probably has a good reason.. but the list is growing. Not half an hour ago he tried to do the same thing to another friend. He was friendly towards our land lord's son who is about 8 years old and to one of my mother's friends (female), but it seems like everyone he meets inside the house he tries to be aggressive towards. I've taken him to socialization things at Petco weekly and he is always good with people and other dogs. He likes the groomer, the trainer, as well as the other puppy owners in his puppy class. Really, everyone he meets outside of the home he seems to be nice to. So it seems to me he is being protective which is cute, but I don't want this to turn into a bigger problem. I want him to be friendly. I'd prefer not to crate him every time someone comes over. For short visits it works, but if I got a family member or friend staying over I don't want any bad incidents.

Advice is NEEDED!

Edit: And.. though he was friendly towards the Landlord's son he got excited and peed on him lol.. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
1.5 Year Old (Born 12/10/09)

Last edited by Blitz1203; 05-08-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Master Member

SOCIALIZE, SOCIALIZE, SOCIALIZE, You need to sit outside stores or whatever and let people walk by him and let him know you are in control and he can trust you to keep him safe. You have the start of a major future problem so all I can say is he needs to be socialized now before he realizes what he is capable of and then he will chose what to do which might be to bite.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Did you read what I said? He is well socialized. We take him all over the place. Outside of the house he is an angel..

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Master Member

Yes I did read what you wrote but I am not talking about going to the usual places that you frequent often I am talking about sitting outside a grocery store where carts are going by and people in hurry carrying bags so he gets more comfortable with you being in control. Sorry but I feel at his age he needs to be socialized more and trust that you are the alpha and in charge.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Banned

if he was well socialized he wouldn't act nervous
around people in your home.

socailize, socialize, socialize at home. invite people
over to help you train and socialize. when my dog was a puppy
i invited family, friends and neighbors to visit all of the time.
i made sure my pup had visitors several times a day.

maybe you need a trainer. you don't want this problem
getting out of hand. good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz1203 View Post
Did you read what I said? He is well socialized. We take him all over the place. Outside of the house he is an angel..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:06 PM

He sounds like he does GREAT out in public, (but I also advise to keep that up! and definately go to different places as well)

I don't think he's being protective of his home, if he were he wouldn't be doing what I call "the wait till you turn around and I'm gonna nip you" routine. I also call it 'chicken poop(I use another word) nipping"

I would have people (one at a time who are willing!) come over and set him up for success,,at first I'd try keeping him on leash outside say, at the end of your driveway, person gets out, IGNORES the dog COMPLETELY, talk for a bit, invite him in, keeping dog on leash.. The key is to completely ignore the dog, don't look at him, don't talk to him, don't treat him..he is invisible.

Let HIM make the move to check out your guest (supervised of course)..IF he is interested, say your sitting at the table, whatever, have a some treats handy, have the guest drop a treat on the floor, totally ignoring,,

Dogs tend to not like being ignored, so he should investigate, but again, let him make the moves not the person,,

My feeling is, gsd's don't have to love everyone, nor be social with everyone, but they must tolerate people's presence.

He sounds rather insecure and lacks confidence/somewhat fearful, when new people outside of his family come into the house..

Definately contact a behaviorist so they can help you one on one..The BIG PLUS is he is great out in public,,if I had to choose ,,I would rather have my dog be great out in public and a weirdo, for lack of a better word, at home)

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 05:13 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I'd leave a treat jar and have everyone coming in the house first ignore your pup, and then if he gets near get a treat, and another treat, and another treat.

How are the dog classes going? What does your instructor recommend?

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
He sounds like he does GREAT out in public, (but I also advise to keep that up! and definately go to different places as well)

I don't think he's being protective of his home, if he were he wouldn't be doing what I call "the wait till you turn around and I'm gonna nip you" routine. I also call it 'chicken poop(I use another word) nipping"

I would have people (one at a time who are willing!) come over and set him up for success,,at first I'd try keeping him on leash outside say, at the end of your driveway, person gets out, IGNORES the dog COMPLETELY, talk for a bit, invite him in, keeping dog on leash.. The key is to completely ignore the dog, don't look at him, don't talk to him, don't treat him..he is invisible.

Let HIM make the move to check out your guest (supervised of course)..IF he is interested, say your sitting at the table, whatever, have a some treats handy, have the guest drop a treat on the floor, totally ignoring,,

Dogs tend to not like being ignored, so he should investigate, but again, let him make the moves not the person,,

My feeling is, gsd's don't have to love everyone, nor be social with everyone, but they must tolerate people's presence.

He sounds rather insecure and lacks confidence/somewhat fearful, when new people outside of his family come into the house..

Definately contact a behaviorist so they can help you one on one..The BIG PLUS is he is great out in public,,if I had to choose ,,I would rather have my dog be great out in public and a weirdo, for lack of a better word, at home)

He did the nipping thing to the cable guy and my 2nd friend who came over. He waited for them to turn their backs and then jumped forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
I'd leave a treat jar and have everyone coming in the house first ignore your pup, and then if he gets near get a treat, and another treat, and another treat.

How are the dog classes going? What does your instructor recommend?

He graduated his class and was clearly the most well behaved there. He is very smart and obedient. When the original incident happened with my first friend I asked the instructor and she told me to buy chicken franks and give them to my friend. She said to have him ignore the dog, but hold the chicken franks in the back of his hand for the dog to take. She said my friend shouldn't give any attention to the dog until he comes to him willingly without treats and so on. I'd ask her more, but she is currently away.

*Yesterday shortly after I posted this our land lord came over and I took the dog out to meet him before coming in. I told the land lord we're trying to socialize him with new people and that if he didn't mind meeting him I'd appreciate it. Interestingly enough he liked my land lord. Sniffed him and then let him pet him. When he came in Blitz didn't really care that he was around. He wasn't nervous looking or in any way trying to be aggressive.

This week I'll take him to some more new places and invite some friends over. I'll try some of the methods mentioned (most are along the same lines). Once I have some results I'll let you know.

Proud Owner of Blitz
White German Shepherd
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:09 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Big thing is we have to do all this training and socialization for the first YEAR or so (forever?) of our pups lives. They go thru a bunch of different mental and physical growth stages, plus the hormones kick in. So we need to have a really solid foundation built up to prepare them to easily take anything as it comes.

I recommend dog classes for as long as I can take them. If not obedience there is rally, and herding and agility and tracking and flyball and and and.... for my dog and for me to better prepare for life

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page