Looking for local GSDs for Fanta to socialize/play with - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Looking for local GSDs for Fanta to socialize/play with

Hello, not sure if this is the right idea but here it is:

Fanta is now 6 months old and in the last couple of weeks she started snapping at other dogs. there are plenty of them in our complex and up until this point she would just sniff them and try to play or just lay down in a submissive puppy kind of way. now she is like an alligator.
she is not biting them but still with those big teeth in now its scary for other owners (of smaller dogs especially) to say the least. and I dont know if it will not go any further.
so my dillema is that while I have to socialize her and expose her to other dogs as much as I can I want her to learn some manners from other dogs. in my opinion to accomplish that she will have to interact with them a lot more and in a different way and probably off leash.
reason I say that is we had an adult golden in our puppy class who would very nicely control all the little ones if they got out of line during the "social" part.
we have a bark-park near by but I am just not sure about it.
I would rather meet someone from here who understands the breed, whose dog may benefit from such a "play date" as well.

Is this a good idea?
If so, does anyone want to meet up?

MIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:31 PM

I would love to but unfortunately we are a great distance from each other.

Have you taken Fanta (the name alone makes me thirsty lol) to dog parks at all yet? It's a good way to get them some socialization and possibly find some older dogs that will teach your pup some manners. You can always keep her leashed until you are comfortable with letting her go free and just watch carefully for emotions to escalate.

Eva
GSD/Husky mix
Born - 12/7/2009
Adopted - 2/24/2010
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM

Dog parks are not the best place for socialization as you don't know the temperaments of the other dogs. Just do a search on the forum for how many dogs have been attacked at the dog park. And leaving the leash on while in the dog park can make your dog a target for others. Your dog has no way to get away and can become frustrated on leash and lash out.

Mike... I think you have the right idea. I am too far from you but I know there are members that are close that would love to help you teach Fanta some good doggie skills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

yeah, dog park crossed my mind but for reasons listed above (ie. not knowing dogs there) I wouldnt feel comfortable at this juncture. plus I heard that dogs got sick after visiting the one near me.
our neighbor has a golden and she played with him once off leash but they barely walk that poor dog so i cant count on her too much.

MIKE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Crowned Member

my trainer has always offered to use her dog to help with that sort of thing

if you are still taking OB classes maybe you could speak to your trainer and ask for help

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

we graduated puppy K class recently and not taking basic obedience till September. I will contact the trainer if needed but wanted to see if there was a "free" option available out there.

MIKE

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:22 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I have to say, our puppies grow and change so much the first year that I choose to NOT take a break during that year. Heavy on the dog classes, exercising and socialization because IF I do that well for the first year or so......... I prevent so many problems from cropping up that can never be changed or at least never have as great a dog as I could have had.

With human kids, they have like 15 YEARS of growth to adolescence so it makes sense to give them summers off and it's no big deal. But our pups do the same amount of physical and emotional growth in like 1.5 years... so we have to kind of stay with it during that time.

So I have dog classes thru the summer too. And if I miss a week or so cause of summer stuff that's fine. Generally I attend and that's what my dogs need.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page