Any ideas on final size? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Any ideas on final size?

I adopted my boy at 3 months and he was 31 lbs. We had him on regular puppy food until about 7 months, when we read up on the benefits of feeding adult food or all-life-stages food to slow down the growth. When we made the switch at 7 months, he weighed 73 lbs. and was 24.5 inches. He slowed down considerably at that point. When we had him weighed at 12 months, he weighed 76 lbs. and was still around 24.5 inches. At 15 months, he now weighs a healthy 81 lbs. and has shot up an inch and a half to 26 inches!

The reason of my perplexity is that everything I read seems to say that they stop growing height wise around 10 months, a year at the latest. He's shot up an inch and a half after a year.

He was adopted, so we really have no idea about his parents. He is also a mix, but is so predominantly shepherd that we can't even see the other breed. (We can just see little tiny differences that we figure must come from somewhere else.)

Could it be that the growth we slowed down is finally starting to catch up, or could he just be a large dog, given that he is continuing to grow upwards past a year?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Elite Member

The 12 mo guesstimate is a generalization. Some quit growing before then. Some grow into their 2nd yr. A few even beyond that. Large to very large dogs usually grow for a longer period of time. My guy grew a bit past 1yr but not much. Your guy might grow a bit more...or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page