4 1/2 month old, what should they know? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

4 1/2 month old, what should they know?

My girl knows the commands to sit, stay ( only for a couple of mins. at this point) down, up ( I use up for when I allow her to come up on my lap) bed, when I walk her on the leash I tell her to heal and she does pretty good, although not "perfect" yet. I also tell her to quit when she thinks about chasing a cat or a chicken, and she does really good at that.
What are some other things that I can teach her at this age? I started introducing her to car rides, people, and new enviornments from 8 weeks old. When I take my children to school and pick them up, Isis goes along. She is has an great personality and is very friendly with everyone. Is there an age when they will start to be more protective and questioning about people? I hope this last question makes sense.... she is just SO friendly, and I do know that she is still just a pup but it makes me wonder if she has a protective bone in her
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	008_crop.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	898  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

She sounds like a GREAT dog, well adjusted and will do well in life if you keep up with the socialization and loving.

Puppies aren't supposed to have any real aggression/protection. They don't have the lifetime experience or training to do it properly. So if you see anything you THINK is protection/aggression it would be fear-based which is bad bad bad!

Have you heard of clicker training? HUGE fun way to train our pups.

Clicker Training: Marking Your Dog's Successful Behavior

I've found the MOST helpful thing is to get into a great set of dog classes, and continuing with them for as long as you can (year?). Great fun for you and the dog, you are BOTH learning, continued socialization. Plus I've met people in dog classes that have now become my greatest friends!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Crowned Member

I have a 3 1/2 month old GSD and he knows what your Isis knows. I have also taught him to give me his paw, back up, sit pretty (beg), and fetch. She will be protective when she gets older, yet still friendly. My other Shepherd, who passed away, was very friendly with everyone but protective as well. They can sense threats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

I forgot about giving paw! Back up I have never heard of that. How do you do that? Also, I have taught her NOT to jump up on me by saying down in a firm voice. How would you handle it when she wants to jump on others?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

I have heard about clicker training for horses. I will look into it for the pup as well, thank you!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara View Post
I forgot about giving paw! Back up I have never heard of that. How do you do that? Also, I have taught her NOT to jump up on me by saying down in a firm voice. How would you handle it when she wants to jump on others?
It's a bad idea to use the word down for no jumping. Down is already a command for her and most dogs, which is to lie down and she can get them confused. I use the command off for Frag(now 8months) to get off of people (not that he ever jumps on people), stop playing with cats, and dogs, and to get off of the bed.

To teach back up, I used the couch and a coffee table. I guided Frag between them then walked into him and waved my arms forward. He started backing up and I clicked and treated.

If Frag ever tried jumping on people, I would say Off and lead him away. Make him sit, then re-approach. Treats if he does good, but usually I just treat him from the start when he's got all four on the floor to avoid the habit forming in the first place; he's more interested in me than the people.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Crowned Member

Sinister knew Sit, Shake, Laydown, Kennel, Speak and was potty trained by 4 1/2 months

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:

I push him back with one hand while motioning back with the other hand and say back up at the same time. Then I give him a treat. It takes a while but he eventually got it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

If Frag ever tried jumping on people, I would say Off and lead him away. Make him sit, then re-approach.

Great advice! I am actually excited about trying this with her. its the simple things in life
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Great advice! I am actually excited about trying this with her. its the simple things in life
You're welcome. Keep in mind that this is a great method for controlling a lot of bad behaviors (rushing the door, getting on furniture, barking at guests) Of course there are other and sometimes better ways to train those things, but this can also help.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page