Attacked and Timid - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Attacked and Timid

This Saturday I picked up my new GSD mix puppy and he's been nothing but great. Before Saturday he was nothing but friendly and wonderful around the other dogs at the rescue. Unfortunately we had an incident where a neighbors bulldog charged through the fence and took him down as we were walking by. Since then my dog has been scared when meeting other puppies. He seems very timid and on edge until he sniffs a little. Is this something to worry about? I want to make sure he enjoys other dogs and their company, but I'm worried this attack at a young age might have done some damage.

Any tips to help move him along with socialization? Unfortunately he's not schedule to get his rabies and neuter till the end of April so dog parks and class won't be in the picture till then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GSD Mix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a Creative Web & Graphic Design Studio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM

You can sign up for puppy classes with only 1 or 2 sets of shots. They are great for socialization.

Bear 12/10/09
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip rodney. Wasn't too sure what the policy was as I heard petsmart (yeah i know) requires rabies shots for grooming. Hoping this isn't the case for puppy classes.

GSD Mix

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member

Do you have any friends that have 'safe' dogs? I would get your pup around other dogs as soon as possible. Don't force him but just let him relax and go to them in a safe setting (not a dog park).

Also, tell you neighbor to keep their dog under control.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Jax08 I do have a few buddies with safe GSDs that I plan to get him around. Luckily we have one neighbor with an older GSD that he seems to have bonded with.

GSD Mix

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

How old is your puppy? Remember to be careful about taking your pup out when he isn't fully covered by his vacs.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

He's about 17 weeks old and has had 3 distemper shots. He's scheduled for rabies + neuter at the end of next month.

GSD Mix

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenspire View Post
Jax08 I do have a few buddies with safe GSDs that I plan to get him around. Luckily we have one neighbor with an older GSD that he seems to have bonded with.
Definitely do that before he develops fear aggression. Try to get him around small dogs to so he's used to all sizes.

And if he's shy with them, do NOT make a big deal over it or tell him "it's ok". he will take it as it's ok to shy be afraid of the other dogs. But when he goes to the other dogs, make a huge deal over it and tell him how wonderful he is.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenspire View Post
He's about 17 weeks old and has had 3 distemper shots. He's scheduled for rabies + neuter at the end of next month.
Then he's had enough shots to do puppy classes. I would get him enrolled in a puppy class soon before the critical stage of development called the "socialization period" closes, making it harder to fix such things. Though I'd look for a good trainer and facility rather than the typical PetsMart courses mentioned. Make sure to discuss this with the trainer and have a plan of approach to help him get more comfortable around other dogs. Don't just toss him in a mess of rampaging puppies and let him get overwhelmed. A good trainer ought to be able to help you give him some really good, confidence building dog socialization in a structured, safe environment.

I would NOT go to a dog park. Even at the best dog parks, there is a very real risk of a similar bad experience happening and if he's already showing fear after one incident, the last thing he needs is a repeat experience. He may never get over it if that happens.

Look for dog socialization experiences that can be controlled to prevent bad experiences, like a well run class, and meeting with the dogs of friends/family/neighbors that you know are safe.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Elite Member

If I can suggest you something....AVOID DOG PARKS.

We have made this error with our dog. We wanted him to be socialized a lot (because we've been told GSD need a really good socialization otherwise they were agressive toward other dogs).

As soon as we could, we brought him to the dog park, maybe around 3 to 7 times a week.....at first, everything was great! Phenix had friends (especially Pitts, Bulldogs and Rottweilers).

Than, one day, what should happen, happen and he got seriously attacked by an other dog.

The thing is you cannot know each other dog and owner in dog parks...some of them are very good socialized and sweet, but other could do damages to your puppy.

Since this event, Phenix is TOTALLY scared of other dogs....we are working so hard to socialized him again. I will NEVER go back in a dog park for sure....I really regret that we brought him that much to the dog park.

Instead, you should bring him to puppy classes. This is more fun, he will learn and he will be socialized with a good supervision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page