Already Protective Good or Bad - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Already Protective Good or Bad

Well my Bella is about 15 weeks and been here 5 days she is a very smart little girl. And when people comes over and knock on the door she barks no problem with that.
Well yesterday Bella, Kane and my 11 yr old son was playing in the front yard and I was watching out the bay window folding clothes and saw the neighbor start walking over (she wanted to pet the new puppy lol).So I watched Bella's reaction she stood in front of my 11 year old by about a yard and would not let my neighbor come in the yard. She had her tail up, hair on her back bristled as much as she could manage and was barking in a don't dare come over here kinda tone, now she didn't go towards my neighbor she just stood her ground and wouldn't let her come in, ( she was about 15-20 feet from my neighbor) my neighbor didn't try to push the issue she talked nice to her and waited for me to come out (her talking had no effect) so I walked outside and she came over in front of me and barked at my neighbor so I patted her head and said friend and walked over to my neighbor and started talking ignoring Bella's barks after about a minute of talking she was fine and let my neighbor pet her and walk around whatever. I didn't expect this behavior this early (forgot what age my rottweiler started it was like 12 yrs ago lol) out of the yard she is fine, should I be worried at all or just think of it as her doing her "job" lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Not true protection from a 15 week old.

Instead, it's the normal FEAR stage that our pups go thru. We have to help them and deal with the fear, not accidentally encourage it by thinking our pup has naturally and brilliantly started protecting the family.

Truthfully, look at what the puppy was 'protecting' your son from. A normal, happy, totally NON-threatening neighbor.

You should have initially IGNORED your poor afraid puppy and gone ahead of them to greet your neighbor. As the family leader, your pup then should have immediately quieted and started thinking 'I was a dope, look they are ok' and then the puppy should have then followed.

If you had your training bag of treats, even better, could have handed some to the neighbor who could have fed the pup when it went nearer.

Hopefully, you've been driving the puppy to all your friends/neighbors/grocery store/main st USA so you can continue to reinforce that when you are calm and friendly, the puppy can calm. Mom's in charge, mom will deal with the situation, look to and learn from MOM!

Great time to find and start up puppy/dog classes!

Here's info about socialization and fear stages (and how we much this up all the time!)

Puppy Development

Developmental Stages

Von Stroman German Shepherd Puppy Primer, Part I

Von Falconer K-9 Puppies 1st Night To 1st Year

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 03-25-2010 at 08:15 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, Yes she goes with me and is a happy puppy everywhere else, and I will try that We live in the middle of nowhere so I think the closest puppy class is a little over an hour away at petco lol, I will see when they have classes or if I can find someone closer. Again thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

I found the 1st and last links to be awesome, Thanks for the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page